What Should I Feed My Mystery Snail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickjagger1

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My friend got me a mystery snail for my pregnant guppy's baby shower. She didn't get food for it or specify what it eats. Question: Can they have fish food that is resting at the bottom? This is a stupid question, but what if I took some fish flakes that my guppy eats and then pushed them to the bottom? Would the snail eat that? Another question: Could it just live off the algae? What if I got a live plant? Would it eat that? Sorry for all the questions.

OP
Mickjagger1

Mickjagger1

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They need meat based protein as well so yes the uneaten fish food on the bottom is good. Or, you can drop in a sinking shrimp pellet a few times a week. They really are not great algae eaters.
That's a good idea! I saw those at the pet store I go to so i'll definitely do that

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One myth debunked. People say Mystery snails will never eat plants. I watched mine eating a piece out of one of my Java Fern leaves, He also munches on stems of Water Wisteria. He is well fed with getting shrimp pellets every other day and fresh broccoli on the other days. He never did it before getting the broccoli. I think I made him develop a taste for greens.

Goldie&Yami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One myth debunked. People say Mystery snails will never eat plants. I watched mine eating a piece out of one of my Java Fern leaves, He also munches on stems of Water Wisteria. He is well fed with getting shrimp pellets every other day and fresh broccoli on the other days. He never did it before getting the broccoli. I think I made him develop a taste for greens.
Mystery snails WILL eat parts of your plant that is dying or decaying.

Goldie&Yami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And maybe it tastes like broccoli?
Try it and find out! Lol jk jk don't do that. Haha sorry I blame it on lack of sleep lol. I mean I bet it tastes delicious and leafy. I mean it looks like something I would throw in my dinner salad lol.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try it and find out! Lol jk jk don't do that. Haha sorry I blame it on lack of sleep lol. I mean I bet it tastes delicious and leafy. I mean it looks like something I would throw in my dinner salad lol.
Well to me, delicious and leafy is an oxymoron. I don't eat leaves and stems.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Broccoli battle. In this corner we have the defending champion, Magellan the Mystery snail. In the other corner we have the challenger, Newman the Nerite. Place your bets. My money is on Magellan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 16.1%

Top Bottom