What Should I Feed My Mystery Snail? Question

1. Mickjagger1

Mickjagger1 New Member Member

My friend got me a mystery snail for my pregnant guppy's baby shower. She didn't get food for it or specify what it eats. Question: Can they have fish food that is resting at the bottom? This is a stupid question, but what if I took some fish flakes that my guppy eats and then pushed them to the bottom? Would the snail eat that? Another question: Could it just live off the algae? What if I got a live plant? Would it eat that? Sorry for all the questions.

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Algae wafers! They can't live off of just algae, so supplement with the wafers. Just plop one in before the lights go off

3. OP
    OP
    Mickjagger1

wow thank you! Do they sink to the bottom?

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

They need meat based protein as well so yes the uneaten fish food on the bottom is good. Or, you can drop in a sinking shrimp pellet a few times a week. They really are not great algae eaters.

5. OP
    OP
    Mickjagger1

That's a good idea! I saw those at the pet store I go to so i'll definitely do that :)

6. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

You could add some veggies though. Zuchinni and lettuce would work.

8. Dch48

Yes, mine loves blanched fresh spinach.

9. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami Valued Member Member

Off topic: This is the most unique and adorable idea!

10. OP
    OP
    Mickjagger1

Thank you! It was a really fun baby shower. Everyone gave my guppy (aka Big Mama Slim Jim) gifts. She loved it :)

11. Dch48

One myth debunked. People say Mystery snails will never eat plants. I watched mine eating a piece out of one of my Java Fern leaves, He also munches on stems of Water Wisteria. He is well fed with getting shrimp pellets every other day and fresh broccoli on the other days. He never did it before getting the broccoli. I think I made him develop a taste for greens.

12. Goldie&Yami

Mystery snails WILL eat parts of your plant that is dying or decaying.

13. Dch48

This was a healthy leaf. It's a Windelov Fern and now he has eaten most of the lacy part on the end of the same leaf which was also healthy and vibrant green.

14. Goldie&Yami

In his defense windelov does look very much like lettuce. :emoji_sweat_smile:

15. Dch48

And maybe it tastes like broccoli?

16. Goldie&Yami

Try it and find out! Lol jk jk don't do that. Haha sorry I blame it on lack of sleep lol. I mean I bet it tastes delicious and leafy. I mean it looks like something I would throw in my dinner salad lol.

17. Dch48

Well to me, delicious and leafy is an oxymoron. I don't eat leaves and stems. :)

18. Goldie&Yami

Aww man you're missing out salads are great! Lol.

19. Dch48