What Should I Feed My Koi?

Annandgoldfish

I can’t get my hands on high quality koi foods right now (local stores are pretty far and the big chain pet stores don’t sell koi specific foods). I will buy some online but for now I have three options:
1. Goldfish food - About 35 % protein
2. Sinking “shrimp” pellets (recommended for bottom feeders, tropical fish, goldfish) - About 35-38% protein
3. “Low quality” koi food (Tetra/Wardley) - 28-30% protein

I read somewhere that you want to feed koi 30-40% protein and the best option seems to be the goldfish or sinking pellets but I’m guessing the koi food has ingredients more suited for koi. What do you guys think? Any other substitute foods or treats I could give them?

Gypsy13

I’ve been feeding Tetra Koi Vibrance for decades. I’ve got goldies though. I’ve tried more expensive foods but I’ve had problems with all of them. They don’t like hikarI so it just messes up the water. Koi can handle higher protein than goldies.

Annandgoldfish

I’ve been feeding Tetra Koi Vibrance for decades. I’ve got goldies though. I’ve tried more expensive foods but I’ve had problems with all of them. They don’t like hikarI so it just messes up the water. Koi can handle higher protein than goldies.

Thanks for the info. My koi have eaten everything I’ve thrown in the pond. They seem to like the sinking shrimp pellets and goldfish food over the cheap koi food. Just concerned that feeding those foods as staple food can hinder their growth.

Gypsy13

If they have room and are eating, they’ll grow. And I know they’re eating. It’s what they’re best at.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dojafish
  • gingerrr43
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Rtessy
  • Christina98
  • Koi
Replies