What Should I Do

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice for my 5 gallon tank. I’m new to the hobby. My tank currently has a betta, 2 minnows and 2 Cory cats as well as some shrimp. I haven’t had any problems with the fish bothering each other or any problems with parameters. I just want to see what you guys suggest aesthetically and what would be best for my betta in terms of hiding spots or anything like that. Thank you!
IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
sierrah766 said:
I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice for my 5 gallon tank. I’m new to the hobby. My tank currently has a betta, 2 minnows and 2 Cory cats as well as some shrimp. I haven’t had any problems with the fish bothering each other or any problems with parameters. I just want to see what you guys suggest aesthetically and what would be best for my betta in terms of hiding spots or anything like that. Thank you! View attachment 435926View attachment 435927
Hey, so far your tank looks great but there are some things I think to watch out for. Minnows are generally not temperature compatible preferring their temperature to be in the mid seventies or lower, while bettas prefer high seventies to 82. Cory's on the other hand prefer to be in larger groups of six to feel the most comfortable. And as for decorations, avoid plastic plants and also avoid any decorations with sharp edges as betta's fins usually fall victim to these.. especially halfmoons. And make sure the betta has at least one good hide but don't overdo with plants and decorations as bettas still need space to swim and they prefer to stay at the top but they tend to roam all corners of tank. And make sure to rinse thoroughly anything you put in tank of it's new to rid of dust and make sure to santize old decorations from other tanks etc.

sierrah766

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! The drift wood upfront has a large spar underneath that he can hide in. I’ll have to move my minnows and exchange them for a couple more Cory’s instead.

Adriifu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would personally rehome the minnows and corydoras. As stated above, minnows are not temperature compatible. I also believe they prefer being in larger groups, which means they’d also prefer a larger tank. Corydoras are temperature compatible, but also prefer to be in larger groups (six or more of the same species). They also need a lot of room, as they are active swimmers. A twenty-gallon is usually suggested for them, but I’ve successfully kept them in 10-gallon tanks. Overall, the set-up looks great. If you have any fake plants, make sure they’re silk. Also make sure that the water flow isn’t too high. I’m assuming your parameters are 0, 0, >40 and your temperature is around 80 degrees. If that’s the case, then I’d say you’re fine. Keep an eye on the shrimp, as the betta may end up picking on them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom