What should I do?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bettamars, Jul 20, 2015.

1. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

I just came home from a week long trip a few minutes ago to find that there is no power in my room (where my fish are). That means no filter/heater. Our house was getting worked on during the week we were away and there must've been a power outage during the week or the workers shut off our power for whatever reason. I had my sisters come over to check on my fish daily when they went to get the mail since one of my fish was sick before I left. I have counted 7 harlequin rasboras and none of them are the sick one, so I'm assuming he passed while I was away. We found a power cord and now have the filter and heater working again and a few of them are coloring up already, but some of them still look very stressed. I tested my water quick and it was very hard to tell the colors with very little/very bad lighting. It looked to come out with 0-.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates. I'm concerned that I could've lost my cycle as I don't know how long the power has been out for. The temperature was in the low seventies (was too panicked since I only saw 5 fish at first to actually read the number) which I don't know if that could be what was stressing them out. Or maybe lack of water movement/oxygen since the filter was off. The filter started flowing water right away when I got it in the power cord so maybe there was still water in there, but for however long the filter was off there was no ammonia source.

What is the best course of action to make sure I don't have any lethal spikes? I do not have time to do a water change tonight since it is very late and it's been a long day of traveling, so I am going to do one tomorrow. I still have some left over TSS+ from when I first cycled my tank (I bought the biggest bottle and only used half so I had extra for emergencies) so should I do a water change tomorrow and wait 24 hours after that to add the TSS+ and then wait the 2 weeks just to be safe? Or should I wait it out and check parameters closely for any spikes since my parameters aren't too bad at the moment?

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd probably just put in the TSS tonight and hope for the best. Check water conditions daily and act accordingly. (Yes I know you're not supposed to check for 14 days but this is under different circumstances)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

Thank you for the reply! I put some TSS+ in just now and everyone is schooling together and mostly colored up and swimming around now. They're not very hungry since I put some food in there and they didn't eat it, but maybe my sister's fed them earlier so I just took the food put. So far so good :)

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Glad to hear and hope they pull through.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice