What should i do with my java moss?

Kimberly4403

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I purchase a clump of java moss and its currently just dumped in the tank being held down by a rock.. Not sure what i should attach it too any ideas?? Can i see what everyone has done with thier moss

Also how do i make my weighted java moss ball stay nicely in a ball??

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited:

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was trying to make a wall from it but it wasn't going well at all so I tore it down and used rubber bands to attach it to driftwood and a rock cave, it took off pretty good and so I cut some of the growth off and tied it to cholla wood for a new shrimp tank that I am building. I also have some wedged into a groove on some driftwood in another shrimp tank too with another chunk just sat on the substrate that the shrimp like to hide in.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I tie mine to cholla wood. You can tuck it any variety of spots. Really as long as it gets some light and water flow, you can put it anywhere you want.

Kimberly4403

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah i know i just need some ideas.. So rubber bands are ok to use to secure it down with something?

Maybe ill try securing it down on a flat rock and if it looks ok ill add it to some other rocks or maybe i could attach it to one of my fake tunnels to make it look more natural i dont know.. I guess its experimental to see what looks good

I was trying to make a wall from it but it wasn't going well at all so I tore it down and used rubber bands to attach it to driftwood and a rock cave, it took off pretty good and so I cut some of the growth off and tied it to cholla wood for a new shrimp tank that I am building. I also have some wedged into a groove on some driftwood in another shrimp tank too with another chunk just sat on the substrate that the shrimp like to hide in.
View attachment 175184View attachment 175185View attachment 175186
How do you get your balls to stay so round??

Last edited by a moderator:

Kimberly4403

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh so different to java moss topiary balls then??

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The balls aren't Java moss, they are Marimo 'moss' balls which are actually a slow growing form of algae.

As for rubber bands in the aquarium, I'm not sure if they are 100% safe, they will degrade over time, and I am not too sure if they release anything bad as they do degrade, I know other people have used them with no issues.
I use them in that fish tank, but I don't use them in my shrimp tanks just in case.

You can also use cotton thread, nylon fishing line, some superglues and aquarium safe silicones to attach things together.

Kimberly4403

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If rubber bands are only temporary though whilst plant attaches then they can be taken off would it work.. I use rubber bands to weigh down zuchinni for my 2 BNs without issues i dont have any shrimp or inverts

Would any cotton thread work?? Is there anything i need to look out for such as colours?? Is white cotton thread bleached at all??

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The thread and rubber bands should last long enough for the plants to affix themselves, threads will also degrade as will nylon fishing line, it takes a long time though.

White thread should be pure cotton I would think? I'm not entirely sure, I'm using a yellow cotton polyester thread in the shrimp tanks to no ill effects.

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
here is a pic of mine tied to cholla. I've tried leaving in a clump, attaching it here and there, but this seems to be my best, however I wish it would do more.

After getting my first clump a couple of months ago, I just squished it into a corner behind some rocks, it melted back a little then exploded! I got a golf sized amount, now I have pop can sized Java moss in ten of my tanks, handfuls in my fry tank. The only thing you have to watch out for is not letting it get too much light, my Java moss get string algae really easily....

Attachments

Kimberly4403

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a few different types of algea eaters in my tank so not too worried about the algea.. Im gonna try and make some mossy looking rocks

Kimberly4403

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well i found some fishing line and attached it to a porus rock its starting to brown but should come back.. Ill remove fishing line in a month or so and see if it attached ok... At least i can take the rock out and trim it when it nees to..

How do i go about maintaining my java moss ball? Do i just trim it when it gets too long??

Attachments

DanB80TTS

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's pretty slow growing so it won't need trimmed too often, but trim it to your own taste. The trimmings you can use in other tanks, and if you trim of decent sized clumps you could even sell them, I'm sure you could find a new shrimp enthusiast that would buy it from you.

Gvilleguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fishing line will last years before degrading. Rubber bands last a few months. I've used both. I currently have a large java moss clump creating a "back wall" look, and it is held in place by a piece of driftwood and a couple of bamboo skewers. The moss grows out and around the skewers, eventually making them disappear.

In this pictures it is on the back right side.

40 Gallon August 2015.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom