What Should I Do With My Guppy Fry Now?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Faris101, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Faris101

Faris101 Valued Member Member

Ok guys so my second generation guppy gave birth 6 days ago this is the third generation I have 13 of them in a gallon bowl for now I'm just waiting for some time before I can put them in my tank having guppies Rasboras neons
    Well the adult guppies are the main concern
    Should I wait for another week or more so they don't fit into their mouths?

2. LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaasha New Member Member

Definitely. I would try and wait as long as possible; depending on the guppy, these guys caaaan be a lil fiesty with smaller fish (especially fry/juveniles). Naturally this can also depend on the fish in the big tank and their personalities. If there is plenty of space to hide then I might consider releasing them into the tank but beware - it might result in casualities.

3. OP
    OP
    Faris101

I will probably wait till they get to about an inch so they don't get accidentally sucked up by my pump

Yeah I do have many decors for them to hide in

4. OP
    OP
    Faris101

I won't minding losing a few because I have a lot all thirteen of them could heavily overstock my tank
    And another guppy looks like it's going to give birth TOO

So is it ok if I use them as feeders for my other tank?

5. LittleMissSaasha

Of course! Guppy fry/baby fish in general are a great source of nutrients for bigger fish. Or you can leave the birthed fry in the tank - the parents will likely chomp them.

6. OP
    OP
    Faris101

Thanks for the info if I have more fries I will use them as feeders( sorry little guys )

So this is how you control guppies from becoming huge colonies in just a month or two

7. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

If you are in danger of being overstocked, put at east some of them in the big tank. I move them at about a half inch. What often happens is the adults get used to them. You may lose a few quickly, and then fry predation stops. Or you may have a few adults that never stop hunting, but I have found that to be rare. New fry are vulnerable but once they are a couple weeks old they will surprise you if they have some cover to hide in.

8. OP
    OP
    Faris101

Yes thank you for the quick replies
    Also are there signs of a sick fry or healthy fry?

9. LittleMissSaasha

From my experience sick fry either struggle to swim, eat or are moving moving; plus they die off pretty quickly. In a big community tank where they are predated upon, only fast and healthy fry will survive.

10. O

Agree. The sick ones usually die in half a day, if they survive the first hour. Even the healthy ones take a few days before they can swim fast enough, and seem to learn where the safest zones are in the tank.

11. OP
    OP
    Faris101

Thanks I will add them to the tank in a week or less

12. O

Feeding the adults very well for a few days is helpful. Particularly right before you drop the fry in. By the time the adults are hungry again they are likely to be more used to living with the fry. A few days ago I dropped about 40 swordtail fry that were a few weeks old into a 20G with about 10 adolescent guppies. They chased them hard for half an hour and one swordtail was caught that I know of, though the guppy spent a half hour attempting to swallow him. Two days later they all swim around the tank together peacefully. The tank is heavily weeded and that was important the first day.

13. Grimgore

Grimgore New Member Member

If you dont separate the males from the females its a neverending battle .. prolific breaders that they are.. guppies are the cause of multiple tank syndrome at my place...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice