What should I do with my danios?

Jen9

Hello,

Here's my predicament.
I bought a 29 gallon with the intention to have a diverse and peaceful community tank. I purchased 7 danios (4 leopard and 3 Pearl). At the time I didn't realize the Pearls were so much more aggressive than the leopards. I tried adding a school of Hengeli Rasbora and the Pearl Danios were so aggressive towards them I had to return the rasboras. I can't rehome the danios because my daughter loves them and named them all.
Also, my tank on my main floor gets too warm for danios (normally 78, maybe because where it's placed in relation to the window) so this tank is not ideal for them.
Here are the options I was thinking:

1)Get a 20 tank and put the danios there with a bottom dweller (leopard corydora?). Problem with this is I don't know where to put it. I would hope my spare room won't be as warm. And I don't know if the danios would attack the corydora. And I don't really want to spend money on another tank.

2) Keep the danios in the 29g and add something like tiger barbs. The problem is the temp is still too warm for the danios. And I'm not sure whether the leopard danios would get attacked by the barbs. And it's not the peaceful community I was hoping for.

3) Only move the pearl danios. Keep the leopards in the 29g and hopefully they will be happy in a community. Problem is I dont know where I would move them to (i have a spare 5 gallon) and the water temp would still be too warm for the leopard Danio.

4) Bring the Pearl danios back to the store, replace them with zebra or Glo danios. I would have to contact the store to see if they'll do this. And I'd have to convince my daughter to do this. She notices everything lol. This still doesn't solve the problem of the water temperature. But at least they'll be happy with more buddies.

I'm leaning towards 4 if the convincing works.
Any other ideas? Has anyone has a similar situation?
I was hoping not to spend more money on a tank..

Demeter

When schools get aggressive towards other tank mates it is often because they do not have enough buddies of their own species to keep them busy. For all schoolers you should have a decent sized group, 6+ but more is always better. Even the most peaceful species can become nippy when not kept in proper numbers.

I have 9 fire line danios, they are about the same as pearls in terms of aggression. When I only had 6 of them they were very mean but when I added 3 more they suddenly chilled out. They still get aggression but only among themselves.

Jen9

Demeter said:
When schools get aggressive towards other tank mates it is often because they do not have enough buddies of their own species to keep them busy. For all schoolers you should have a decent sized group, 6+ but more is always better. Even the most peaceful species can become nippy when not kept in proper numbers.

I have 9 fire line danios, they are about the same as pearls in terms of aggression. When I only had 6 of them they were very mean but when I added 3 more they suddenly chilled out. They still get aggression but only among themselves.
Yes, when I got the pearls I thought they would be ok because they seemed to "school" with the leopards. But I think your right about needing a bigger school. I'm leaning towards rehoming the pearls (hopefully the store will take them) and then I'll get 4 more zebra danio types to make a school of 8.
Hopefully a school of 8 Danio will be ok with neons and rasboras.

Cinnabar

Jen9 said:
Hello,

Here's my predicament.
I bought a 29 gallon with the intention to have a diverse and peaceful community tank. I purchased 7 danios (4 leopard and 3 Pearl). At the time I didn't realize the Pearls were so much more aggressive than the leopards. I tried adding a school of Hengeli Rasbora and the Pearl Danios were so aggressive towards them I had to return the rasboras. I can't rehome the danios because my daughter loves them and named them all.
Also, my tank on my main floor gets too warm for danios (normally 78, maybe because where it's placed in relation to the window) so this tank is not ideal for them.
Here are the options I was thinking:

1)Get a 20 tank and put the danios there with a bottom dweller (leopard corydora?). Problem with this is I don't know where to put it. I would hope my spare room won't be as warm. And I don't know if the danios would attack the corydora. And I don't really want to spend money on another tank.

2) Keep the danios in the 29g and add something like tiger barbs. The problem is the temp is still too warm for the danios. And I'm not sure whether the leopard danios would get attacked by the barbs. And it's not the peaceful community I was hoping for.

3) Only move the pearl danios. Keep the leopards in the 29g and hopefully they will be happy in a community. Problem is I dont know where I would move them to (i have a spare 5 gallon) and the water temp would still be too warm for the leopard Danio.

4) Bring the Pearl danios back to the store, replace them with zebra or Glo danios. I would have to contact the store to see if they'll do this. And I'd have to convince my daughter to do this. She notices everything lol. This still doesn't solve the problem of the water temperature. But at least they'll be happy with more buddies.

I'm leaning towards 4 if the convincing works.
Any other ideas? Has anyone has a similar situation?
I was hoping not to spend more money on a tank..
What do you mean by too warm? is the tank normally at around 78°F? That sound like a pretty sweet temp to keep them at. It’s been a while since I’ve kept danios but from what I remember they swim around like they’ve just snorted caffeine lol

FishGirl115

I would get more pearls and see how that goes. If they're still aggressive return all pearls. Also the leopard danios should have a bigger school too. All schools need at least 6.

Jen9

Cinnabar said:
What do you mean by too warm? is the tank normally at around 78°F? That sound like a pretty sweet temp to keep them at. It’s been a while since I’ve kept danios but from what I remember they swim around like they’ve just snorted caffeine lol
I thought danios needed cooler water, 75F or lower. But if 78F is good for them that makes things a but easier. In the summer my tank warms up to 82 on the hottest days.
I haven't kept danios since I was a kid and I don't know what temp we kept them at.

FishGirl115

Jen9 said:
I thought danios needed cooler water, 75F or lower. But if 78F is good for them that makes things a but easier. In the summer my tank warms up to 82 on the hottest days.
I haven't kept danios since I was a kid and I don't know what temp we kept them at.
The leopard danios need 75 or lower.

Jen9

FishGirl115 said:
I would get more pearls and see how that goes. If they're still aggressive return all pearls. Also the leopard danios should have a bigger school too. All schools need at least 6.
I really do like the looks of the Pearls and they seem to be the healthiest fish in my tank. One problem is I would only like one school of danios because I'd like to get more variety in my tank, maybe some tetras and honey gourami. The second problem is I'm still nervous the Pearls will be aggressive to new smaller fish... I don't trust them.

FishGirl115

Jen9 said:
I really do like the looks of the Pearls and they seem to be the healthiest fish in my tank. One problem is I would only like one school of danios because I'd like to get more variety in my tank, maybe some tetras and honey gourami. The second problem is I'm still nervous the Pearls will be aggressive to new smaller fish... I don't trust them.
Alright. Then I would try and get more pearls. Or get a new 10g (Petsmart and petco are having $1 per gallon sales RN) and put leopard danios there

Jen9

FishGirl115 said:
The leopard danios need 75 or lower.
Ok. So its too warm as I thought for the Leopards.
What's a good temperature for the Pearls?

FishGirl115 said:
Alright. Then I would try and get more pearls. Or get a new 10g (Petsmart and petco are having $1 per gallon sales RN) and put leopard danios there
Ok. Thank you for your input! I think I will try that. I will get a school of 8 Pearls and hope they will be nice when I get new fish. I'll put the Leopards in a smaller tank in a place in the house that's cooler.
Do you know the temperature range for the Pearls? It's hard to find much info on them.

I have a question about adding new fish with the Pearls.
Should I add a school of rasbora or neons the same time I add the 5 Pearl danio? Will the Pearls be less territorial and more acceptable to newcomers this way?

The_fishy

The danios we have in lab conditions where I work are kept and raised at 82/84 because that is their breeding temp and this enables us to pull fish from any tank for breeding. I wouldn’t be too too concerned about the temperature for that reason.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom