What Should I do with my 5 Gallon?

1. VeggieXL Initiate Member

So as I've stated in my previous threads, my betta Bodhi is battling a persistent case of Fin Rot. It has been almost a month since he was at his worst state with his tail fin more than halfway to his body. He has since improved slightly. There is visible regrowth. I attribute this to daily 50% water changes which I have been doing for weeks now. Just one day without a WC and you can see his fin start to degrade immediately.
    This tank has proven to be exceptionally difficult to work with since day one. It is hexagon shaped so that means in certain lighting Bhodi's reflection is visible which stresses him out. It is impossible for me to cycle this tank. I have had it running since March and the .25 ammonia refuses to leave. Yes there is ammonia in my tap, but a cycled tank should be able to get rid of that right? Finally it being only 5 gallons has made it a pain to keep clean.
    I have had enough of this tank. I am finally getting a 10 gallon aquarium that I'm positive a beginner aquarist like me will find much easier to maintain. Not to mention Bodhi will love it. But until I have the money and supplies and the new tank cycled, I'm stuck with what I have now. I would like some input on how exactly i can make this tank livable at least until his new one is ready. Right now, it's pretty grim...
    Since I need the water pristine and ammonia levels at a minimum. (impossible to reach 0) I have taken out all the gravel and plants so all that remains is his hut and some rocks. I would like to reintroduce the gravel and plants, but I am scared the ammonia levels will rise again (they were at 1 ppm when i removed said items) or the water will become dirty and the fin rot will get even more aggressive. Thoughts, Ideas?
    Levels
    ammonia .25
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0-5

Current daily procedure
    50% WC
    75% if I see fin degradation
    add Prime
    once a week add cap of Stress Coat
    test water parameters daily

pic of tank situation. I included pics of the filters because I don't really know enough about aquarium filters to describe them.
    IMG_20140727_170859.jpg IMG_20140727_170906.jpg IMG_20140727_170927.jpg IMG_20140727_170953.jpg

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Seems like you are doing everything you can! Sometimes big water changes aren't good. It makes the tank constantly go through cycles and the water levels fluctuate. How much and what food do you feed your betta? Maybe adding some easy to care for live plants will help. Or even moss balls. Plants help with ammonia and nitrate (to some extent)

3. VeggieXL Initiate Member

i feed him generic betta pellets. about 10 pellets a day. minus one day a week.

4. sliderdkp Member Member

Still a newbie. Would some Zeo-Carb (combined activated carbon and ammonia remover) help for just a while?

5. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I found that feeding your betta 1 pellet at a time helps. Mr Blue is very slow eater and his usual 5 pellet a day meal will sink if I put it all in there at the same time. You really should only use aquarium salt and Prime conditioner for betta.

6. bellachan Well Known Member Member

10 pellets is alot for a betta, that could also be the reason why the amnonia/nitrates stay up. My betta only eats 4-6 pellets in a day. They don't need much food :) the extra food could be soiling the water.

7. VeggieXL Initiate Member

I do feed one pellet at a time. I grab any pellet that sinks with a net. I will cut down to 5 pellets now though. I also use aquarium salt. But only once a month.

8. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Cheap water route is wal-mart's spring water by the gallon.

You need to treat 2 1g jugs with betta water conditioner
    Treat one of the 1g jugs with salt on top of the conditioner.

Use the non-salt to to off any evaporation.
    Use salt treated water during partial water changes.

You need to keep a consistency. with salt.

9. VeggieXL Initiate Member

This is something I haven't tried yet. How big should these W/C's be?

10. delta5 Well Known Member Member

If you're running a filter, x% water change but still top off through the week with non salt treated water.

No filter, I do 100% water change along with removing the substrate and cleaning it with hit water. I just get the betta and some of the old water in a red solo cup while I do his tank. Only thing In his tank is gravel and a water wisteria and his fins look almost completely healed and we haven't had him for a month yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

You should never rinse substrate like that. It kills BB...

12. Anthony10 Member Member

I thought almost all BB resides inside the filter?

-Anthony

13. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

You said it yourself ;) most live in the filter but substrate contains some BB too.x

14. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yes the vast majority lives in the filter media. I wouldn't worry.

15. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

another well worthy thing to consider is the test. What do you use to test your water?
    your tank could actually be cycled as sometimes they show false positives(especially the API).

16. VeggieXL Initiate Member

I use API master kit. I have tested other sources of water and get 0 ppm readings. Also I had to start using the only medication i have for his fin rot, Tetra Lifeguard. My sister recomended Maracyn II but it is not available at petsmart, petco or amazon. :;sh

17. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I actually do think you are cycled.
    Even though it may be reading .25 sometimes the API test kit can read false positives. I know you said it's read other sources of water as 0 but it could be quite possible that the test is just reading your tank water as .25 because there is a very unreadable small amount so it just acts and reads it as the next closet thing. This happens to a lot of members and honestly because your tank has been running for so long and there is no trace of nitrites and there are nitrates, I think the test is just misreading!

18. VeggieXL Initiate Member

That's great then! Look at me with a cycled tank! :;banaman Now I just need to deal with this fin rot and I'll finally have a healthy fish on my hands.

19. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Well I wish you luck and I hope you have a healthy fish soon!

edit: also, can I see a picture of your betta boy? ;)
    I know you have some pictures of the tank and you can kind of see him but I love pictures :D

20. VeggieXL Initiate Member

here he is asking for some food. or telling me off. he really doesn't like my camera!
    Optimized-IMG_1694[1].JPG