What should I do with my 10G?

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
I don’t really intend on stocking/cycling this tank for some time, so I’m open to chopping and changing things up!

I have some Dwarf Sag which I want to carpet at the back of the tank, and add some Vallisneria in one the side. Maybe another Anubias in the front or some Riccia attached to a pebble or two.

Or I was thinking of moving the Java Fern in the front corner and planting an Amazon Sword in the middle. What do you guys think?

In terms of stocking, I’m confident I could have 20 Chili Rasboras and I’d probably start off with 10-15 MTS in this after it’s cycled. Any other ideas?

I’m trying to keep this a low tech, simple but effective-looking non-fussy tank. I’m happy to do the maintenance, but I’d rather the maintenance is on the plants instead and stock less-fussy fish. (If that makes sense!)

I welcome all your thoughts :)

Attachments

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like a blank canvas...

I'd probably let the plants do their thing and get them to overgrow the tank for the most part.
Stockingwise go with the MTS, but maybe get an assassin snail, too, for population control. Fish... maybe a few rasboras or tetras, nothing fancy, nothing big.

OP
LadfromLondon

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
MacZ said:
Like a blank canvas...

I'd probably let the plants do their thing and get them to overgrow the tank for the most part.
Stockingwise go with the MTS, but maybe get an assassin snail, too, for population control. Fish... maybe a few rasboras or tetras, nothing fancy, nothing big.
Thanks! I’ve just ordered an Amazon Sword so I’m hoping it wi look nice behind the Ferns as a background. I was thinking 20-25 MTS, would 1 Assassin snail be okay for this many?

LanceDog said:
Neocaridina shrimp! They would have a lot of fun in a well-planted tank - if your parameters are to their liking, that is.
I was thinking Blue Cherries, but I’m worried the Assassin snails may go at them!

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe is there a smaller sword to try? Amazon swords if kept right get huge. I'd imagine over time it will take over a 10g completely. If that does happen, all the other plants would probably have to be removed. If you try to remove an Amazon sword, you'll be removing all the substrate with it. The roots grow super long.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TW2AQUATICS said:
I was thinking Blue Cherries, but I’m worried the Assassin snails may go at them!
Never heard they went for shrimp. I'd wait with the assassin snail until the MTS are etablished though, otherwise it might exterminate them too soon.

New Threads