What should I do with all of my babies?

Hugooo

Reaction score
Sooooo,

As mentioned in my previous thread, my black molly once again had babied, this time 19. I am currently keeping them in a bowl, and doing daily water changes (with aquarium water so it's not too stressful. I also have two breeder boxes in my main 10-gallon tank. My black molly gave birth to 11 fish on December 20th, so I am keeping 6 fry in one breeder box and 5 in the other. I am fully aware that this is too little space for them. In my 10-gallon, I have 3 guppies, 2 platies, 1 black molly, and 1 tiger barb. I am also aware that the tiger barb should be with more of its own kind and not with fish like the ones I have. Around 2 weeks ago, I put 6 of the older fry into the main tank, just to see what would happen. 12 hours later or so, I found one of the fry missing and another's fins had been entirely bitten off. I quickly transferred the fry back into their breeding box, where they still are today. All of this water changing and stuff has been really inconvenient, so I want to do 1 of the following options ASAP:

1) Remove the tiger barb and put the older fry into the main tank while keeping the younger fry in the breeding boxes (I am currently trying to rehome the older fry as they are getting big and I'm pretty sure the molly will have more babies in the future) OR
2)
Put all of the fry into another tank, where they could live happily. OR
3)
Transfer the younger fry into the 3-gallon while keeping the older fry in the main aquarium until I rehome them
As for option 2), I currently have an empty 3-gallon tank (the "GloFish Half-Moon Bubbling With Blue LED Bubbler Aquarium Kit 3 Gallons, 12.9" W x 12.5" H.", to be exact). I am aware that this is too small for all of the fry, but again, I am trying to rehome the older fry. I am also aware that the tank needs to be cycled, but I am in a really cramped situation and don't have the time to wait. I also have been wanting to bring back the tiger barb ever since I found out it should not be living with these fish.

So what should I do? Please, I need anyone to help, because literally anything will be of help. This is getting quite out of hand.

I also would like to keep live plants in the 3-gallon (if I decide to set it up) but I don't have any experience and I don't think this is a good time. Anyone have anything to say about the plants?

Thank you so much and again, ANYTHING WILL HELP!

kansas

Reaction score
Unless you invest in a whole lot of tanks and find an eventual home for all the fish you'll breed, you can't keep male and female livebearers together.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have heard of people using sterilite storage containers for fish. They are cheap and you can get them at walmart. You could get one for your babies and put a filter on it if you have a spare filter and borrow some media from a cycled filter into it if it's not cycled. Idk much about mollies so don't quote me on this, but I hope this could be of help to you!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Since you aren't set up to keep all these mollys until they are old enough to hopefully take to your LFS you may want to stop trying to save every one of them. I know this may sound cruel but before long you are going to be even more over run with mollys. Just leave them in the tank they are born in and let the other fish take care of them for you. In nature big fish eat little fish but the strongest survive. You may have to consider allowing it to happen. If not before long you may end up with hundreds of them. It can get out of hand pretty quick if one tries to save every one of them.

If you can't find homes for all of them, before you know it your fry will be all grown up and will start having babies of their own and the small problem you have right now will grow into a massive problem down the road.

OP
Hugooo

Hugooo

Reaction score
kansas said:
Unless you invest in a whole lot of tanks and find an eventual home for all the fish you'll breed, you can't keep male and female livebearers together.
I am currently trying to rehome my older fry and I will post an ad on Facebook later. Thanks for the reply! kansas Do you mean that even at their young age of just a few months/weeks the fry will already be mating? I'm thinking of this as a cycle. The older fry will be rehomed, leaving just the younger fry. A few months later the molly will have babies again which I will put into the tank. At that point, the young fry I have right now will be old enough that I can rehome them.

NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I have heard of people using sterilite storage containers for fish. They are cheap and you can get them at walmart. You could get one for your babies and put a filter on it if you have a spare filter and borrow some media from a cycled filter into it if it's not cycled. Idk much about mollies so don't quote me on this, but I hope this could be of help to you!
NevermindIgnoreMe Thanks for your reply! I probably won't be getting containers for them because 1) I don't really have the space for them and 2) They're not very pretty ;)

mattgirl said:
Since you aren't set up to keep all these mollys until they are old enough to hopefully take to your LFS you may want to stop trying to save every one of them. I know this may sound cruel but before long you are going to be even more over run with mollys. Just leave them in the tank they are born in and let the other fish take care of them for you. In nature big fish eat little fish but the strongest survive. You may have to consider allowing it to happen. If not before long you may end up with hundreds of them. It can get out of hand pretty quick if one tries to save every one of them.

If you can't find homes for all of them, before you know it your fry will be all grown up and will start having babies of their own and the small problem you have right now will grow into a massive problem down the road.
mattgirl Thanks for your long reply! In the future I will probably do that. Read what I said to kansas !

kansas

Reaction score
My only experience with livebearers was in the 80's. I don't remember many details but it didn't take me long to be overran with guppies. I gave them to a friend who kept ciclids.

I'm just getting back into keeping fish and was considering a male molly but they get too big for my tank. During my research, I read that mollies can bear offspring every few weeks and that the offspring are fertile before very long. The have larger litters as the age.

If you really want to breed fish, you should set up your equipment before it's a crisis and have a eventual home lined up. I've going to avoid keeping fish that are easy prolific breeders cause I don't want to deal with fry.

OP
Hugooo

Hugooo

Reaction score
kansas said:
My only experience with livebearers was in the 80's. I don't remember many details but it didn't take me long to be overran with guppies. I gave them to a friend who kept ciclids.

I'm just getting back into keeping fish and was considering a male molly but they get too big for my tank. During my research, I read that mollies can bear offspring every few weeks and that the offspring are fertile before very long. The have larger litters as the age.

If you really want to breed fish, you should set up your equipment before it's a crisis and have a eventual home lined up. I've going to avoid keeping fish that are easy prolific breeders cause I don't want to deal with fry.
Thanks for another reply! In the future, if things get too out of hand, I'll just return the molly. I'm not looking for a large crisis or anything like that! :)

New Threads