What Should I Do Now?

Taylor74

Reaction score
My daughter has a 25 ltr tank.
Initially we made a lot of the common mistakes and have had a rough ride with New Tank Syndrome. The Nitrites and Nitrates were off the scale.
I have been doing 25-30% water changes dosing with filter boost now for about 3 weeks and the levels are almost perfect.
We have lost a few fish but still have 2 Endler Guppies and an Amano Shrimp.
I am now wondering where to go with it.
Do I start to reduce the cleans and see how that affects the nitrates/nitrites /ammonia? Surely I shouldn't need to maintain such high number of changes in definately. Do I use this opportunity to switch out the filter which has been in place since March? (whilst transferring over a piece of the old filter to keep the bacteria that has built)
I have been washing the filter in the old tank water but at some stage I will need to change it and wondered if it might be better now when I have less fish.
I want to add more fish eventually but don't want to end up back at square one.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Taylor74 said:
My daughter has a 25 ltr tank.
Initially we made a lot of the common mistakes and have had a rough ride with New Tank Syndrome. The Nitrites and Nitrates were off the scale.
I have been doing 25-30% water changes dosing with filter boost now for about 3 weeks and the levels are almost perfect.
We have lost a few fish but still have 2 Endler Guppies and an Amano Shrimp.
I am now wondering where to go with it.
Do I start to reduce the cleans and see how that affects the nitrates/nitrites /ammonia? Surely I shouldn't need to maintain such high number of changes in definately. Do I use this opportunity to switch out the filter which has been in place since March? (whilst transferring over a piece of the old filter to keep the bacteria that has built)
I have been washing the filter in the old tank water but at some stage I will need to change it and wondered if it might be better now when I have less fish.
I want to add more fish eventually but don't want to end up back at square one.
Any pointers would be appreciated.
I'd just keep doing the same routine you're doing now until levels are safe. I wouldn't switch over a filter mid-cycle either, for 2 Endlers and a few Amano shrimp your current filtration is probably fine. Some live plants will definitely make keeping the tank healthy easier.

Taylor74

Reaction score
The levels are pretty good now I have taken the plunge and changed the filter but keeping the old one in there for a few days/a week too. Also added another plant in there. Going to leave it a extra day or two before checking/cleaning again if the readings over the next 2 weeks are still good then I may think about building the fish stocks one fish at a time again. Sound sensible?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom