What should I do during a power outage ?

AliceP1847

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice, so this is the first time I've experienced a power outage with my tank and just wanted to know what I should be doing to make sure my fish stay alive!
At the moment I've been following what I've read online and have towels wrapped around the tank to keep the temperature stable (26-27C) and have been using the cup method to pour the water back into the tank to keep the surface movement up. I don't have a backup battery air pump unfortunately ( but do have one on the way for the future! ). All my water parameters are stable and I did a water change about 2-3 days ago. I have a 125L tank with live plants and an opaline gourami, 3 kuhli loaches, 6 harlequin rasbora and 6 black tetra.
The power isn't expected to be back on till 11pm tonight (GMT) so I just wanted to know will my tank last until then with what I've done so far or are there other measures I should be taking? Do I need to be continuously using the cup method to generate oxygen or would it be alright for several hours?

AquaticQueen

I've had to deal with several power outages with fish before and in my experience, your fish should be fine if it's only for a few hours.

AliceP1847

Thank you for your reply! That's good to know, I'll just keep an eye on them in case of any changes!

Tryne

I have had a power outage last friday evening at 11pm paris time. The power came back the next day around 1 pm. 14h without power. I had no possibility at that moment to do anything and could only wait and hope power will be back the next morning. During this time, the temperature dropped from 24° to 21°. I got 20 chillis, 12 panda cories, a dozen pygmy cories and lots of shrimp and snails. Well, everybody survived it, nothing bad happened actually... My tank is a heavily planted 120L. I wonder if having plants is good or bad in that situation, that's something I'd like to know if anybody has an idea?

Thunder_o_b

There are a Few things you can do.

1. As immediate solution go to a hardware store (or other vender) and get heat packs that are used to keep hands warm Amazon.com I have used these for years when working on a loading dock with no doors (it would snow sideways. You have not lived until you have ice skated with a fork lift)
I would say put some in a very good resealable bag then put in the aquarium.

2. Get a car battery and keep it on a trickle charger. When the need arises you hook a power inverter to it and plug in the heater.

3. We have had several days long power outages over the years. We bought one of the last new pilot light gas stoves in the state before the Gov forced them off the market years ago.

4. When the power went out again last year for 4 days, we decided to get a 12,000 watt dual fuel power generator. Produces 110 and 220 volts. We will have an electrician wire an outlet to plug it in to the house.

Just some ideas,

Best wishes.
I have had a power outage last friday evening at 11pm paris time. The power came back the next day around 1 pm. 14h without power. I had no possibility at that moment to do anything and could only wait and hope power will be back the next morning. During this time, the temperature dropped from 24° to 21°. I got 20 chillis, 12 panda cories, a dozen pygmy cories and lots of shrimp and snails. Well, everybody survived it, nothing bad happened actually... My tank is a heavily planted 120L. I wonder if having plants is good or bad in that situation, that's something I'd like to know if anybody has an idea?
Good, plants oxygenate the water.. To a point.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Power outage?
Replies
Views
Mandy627
Replies
Views
rickyraccoon
Replies
Views
dwc13