What Should I Do About Gravel Also Plant Help

1. ChuthuluFish

ChuthuluFish Member Member

I currently have a five g betta tank, and even if i feed a small amount my betta never gets to it all.
    qustion is, should i gust remove the gravel witch is quit large and get gost shrimp and snails to help clean. id still doe water changes and gravel vac weekly. it gets really nasty and i can never get it clean:(
    i change one gallon of water a week. and gravel vac every other.
    ammonia15-35
    nitrite0
    nitrate 110
    i have lots of ammonia in my tap and i have high nitrates really fast so i was thinking put some plants in pots, like 1 or 3. what kind of root tabs would or do you use. also my betta is alone.
    would snails help clean flakes to?
    i just want to get him to good water caulity.

just wondering what i should do.

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, those numbers are dangerously high! I would be changing at least half the water every week on a regular basis but to get those numbers down I would start doing daily water changes for a while. And gravel vac every single time!

If your betta isn't getting all the food then feed only one pellet at a time. He shouldn't need more than 2 or 3. What are you feeding?

What are the numbers out of your tap?

3. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

+1 dangerously high. Do at least back to back 50 percent water changes now.

4. Aquaphobia

Oh, and what's your pH and temperature?

5. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

out of tap
    ammonia 3-4ppm
    nitite1ppm
    nitrate0

he hates pelets:(
    only flakes and he LOVES bllod worms

yes i just did a water change 40%

but could you please anser my qusition. i was thinking about a 5-6 1/2 inche pebles and some snails .

its hard to keep fish with these numbers like realy hard:(

6. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Good that you did that 40 percent change. Now do another one. (What water conditioner do you use? Prime is best in my opinion).

Yes, it's hard with numbers like that. Impossible. But you can do it if you work at it.

First things first, how well do you know the nitrogen cycle?

7. Aquaphobia

That's not so bad. I mean it's not good but it's not that bad. If you have good light available I would stash your water change water in a bucket and grow water-rooted houseplants like Pothos, spider plant or Aglaonema to deal with the excess ammonia. Or run ammonia-absorbing media in a spare filter on the bucket. Then use it when the ammonia is out or mostly out. You really need to do much larger water changes though.

How much food do you feed and how often?

It will be even harder to clean the tank with larger rocks since they will form larger pockets that debris can get caught in. My personal preference is for sand. Or you could go bare-bottom. Either is going to be easier to clean because there aren't any pockets that stuff can hide in!

8. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

about 5 monthes ago i finished my cycle got my betta. drip aclemated .no probemes exept a torn fin that happened a few weeks ago. i feed 5-9 flakes once a day. i also use prime a have an api liquid test kit. wht about this plan?
    5$5g buccet
    30$ aquarium sand
    30$ asorted plants
    15-25$ terracota pots
    6-8$ clip on lamp
    15$ root tabs

i got an extra 10 gallon filter that i could put in the the five g buccet and sence im seting up a ten galoon gupp or endler tank i could raise the fry in the ten five g bucket and make a couple cence. im sure i could find somthing for the gravel.

what do you guys think?

9. Aquaphobia

Are you saying you want to raise guppies in the bucket with the plants meant to take ammonia out of the tank? I'm confused about where the guppies are coming in. Let's just deal with the Betta first. He's not going to live a long and healthy life under the conditions he's currently dealing with.

10. A

AmberMouse Initiate Member

While I can't add much to what's been said as far as water changes and water conditions, when it comes to feeding your betta, I would suggest hand feeding.

Both of the bettas I've had haven't been able to get to their food fast enough (or at all). There's two methods I've found to fix this.

I used a straw (or really any stick), wet in a little water, to pick up either a pellet or flake, and held it just above the water, the betta will jump just a little to get it. Tweezers also work well for flakes and bloodworms, hold them under the water and the betta will eat them up.
    Alternatively, I've had some success with making a little 'chamber' within the tank with the corner of an ice-cream container, and training my fish to only eat in that chamber, makes it easy for them to find their food.

At least this way, you can know precisely how much your fish actually eats, and you'll also prevent much of that food falling to the bottom and polluting your tank. Haven't had to do it with other fish, only bettas.
    Fixing your water quality will protect your fish, and should be the immediate priority, but preventing added pollution can form part of prevention. I would also second taking out the gravel, and/or changing to a smaller substrate.

11. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I definitely second the filter in the bucket plan.....with tap ammonia that high, I would not feel comfortable putting it in my tank.

When my tap was running ammonia I kept a bucket with a filter and added some bacteria supplement to the bucket, then used the water after it cycled to safer levels

Prime can neutralize up to 1ppm for the fish .,anything higher is toxic

Plants in the bucket can help too- hornwort is a good sponge for ammonia

If you add carbon to your filters in both the tank and bucket it will help too

Small gravel is fine as a substrate and easy to clean with a syphon

For food, try flakes if he won't eat pellets-the blood worms are too rich for daily feeding. A flake or two in the morning and another at night is plenty.

I wouldn't add snails while you have ammonia, you'll just lose them:(

If you already have the ten gallon tank for those guppies, it would be perfect for starting water in to cycle for the Betta, and when your tap water settles down, you'll be ready to add the fish

12. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

could i keep horn wort in the tank with the betta? snd my future endlers/guppies and my bucket plan?
    thanks for the bucket idea.

13. Aquaphobia

Only thing I would like to add to what @sassymomma had to say is that a single dose of Prime will neutralize 1ppm of ammonia but you can dose up to 5 times that amount in an emergency to handle more. It is best to get rid of the ammonia if you can though so you don't have to constantly overdose Prime ;)

14. OP
    OP
    ChuthuluFish

k

15. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Our betta loved the hornwort, just watch that it isn't too dense. A few strands, growing tall are better than a big clump for a betta tank. You may find that he sleeps in it, as it's a nice, supportive plant for resting. We used to find our boy resting inside the hornwort.

Thicker clumps can go in the bucket, and with the smaller, less finny fish, who won't get tangled up in it. You can actually rinse it out, like a sponge, so that it continues to soak up ammonia and junk in the water...very useful stuff :)