What Should I Do About Animal Abuse In This Pet Store? Help

1. wapooshe Member Member

So I walked over to my local Pet store for the first time and I was browsing the fish. Many of the fish were sick and just looked plain sad. I know that can happen in many chain pet stores, but the thing that ticked me off the most was when I turned the corner and saw a 2 foot catfish! This wasn't even a display tank, they were selling this catfish and even worse it could barely move cause it was in I'd say a 40 gal. Now I'm no expert on catfish but I think if the fish is constantly swimming up and down or in a circle due to small space, that must be torture. ):

2. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Sadly way to many people just don't care about fish. The other thing is is that it is very likely a fish that size was surrendered. So what's worse? A way to small tank where someone could eventually adopt him to a bigger tank or the original owner killing him or something because he doesn't want him? My petstore will take surrendered fish, they had a pair of oscars maybe 10" long in the 40g breeder and for a very short while had a cichlid that was a good 10-12" long. He found a home almost right away.

Long story short, there isn't really anything you can do.

I'd rather see a huge fish at the petstore that was surrendered and has a chance to find a new home then sitting in a too small tank because the owner dosen't care or dosen't want to give up the fish.

3. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Report it. If you buy from them, they will see that people are buying them and order more.

4. wapooshe Member Member

I thought it was illegal to sell fish that people put up for adoption in pet stores. I know pet smart takes in fish but doesn't sell them and only adopts them away for free.

5. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

I surrendered some of my fish and they're gonna sell them. I'm in Canada so it might be different. But from a business point of view why would they take them in if they can't make a profit? They would just say no. I had about 80$ worth of fish that I surrendered (tank overhaul) and got about 45$ worth back. It's all about the money. Unfortitnalty good intentions don't make it well in business. Money is all that matters and that's why you see fish stores the way they are. Selling mass fish to whoever wants one and if they don't know how to take care of it, that ain't their problem anymore, they just want to make a buck.

6. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know of any PetSmart that even takes fish in unless it is a return, and then they will most assuredly sell them. Nothing illegal about selling fish people give to them, either, unless perhaps you are in some state with highly restrictive laws, like Florida, Georgia, or California. And they all have different restrictions.

7. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

They could still make a profit off them even if it is free. If you get the fish from there you might get the hundreds of dollars in supplies from them too. I am still convinced that's why petco and petsmart do adoptions.

8. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Maybe. But 'free' and 'business' don't often happen in the same sentence. The fish that i saw there, the big cichlid, could easily have been sold for 80$ if not 100$.

9. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I mean that giving that fish makes the person want to buy there equipment from there. They can still make a big profit off that. Places like Walmart don't make their money on the plants, but on the supplies.

10. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

I know what you meant, don't worry. But from someone who has to deal with a company penny pinching *everything* I don't have high hopes for others.