Question What should I add?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narwhal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm wondering what I should add to my 20 gallon. I want something that won't produce much waste, that can have a pH from 6-8, is hardy, and that my Flame Tetras won't bother or be bothered by. Any suggestions? Oh, and also, how many should I add of it?

Last edited:

Narwhal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How many should I add? I just don't want it/them to be bullied by the Flame Tetras. I don't want to get more than 2, maybe 3 at most.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know about as many as you want . but 3 sounds good - 1m/2f. Male livebearers need at least 2 females. If there is only one, he will constantly pester her and can stress her to death. Male livebeareres don't know that no means no.

Last edited:

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You say a ph of 6-8 but what is the actual pH of the water in the tank? Do you plan on adjusting it based on the fish? Does the pH vary over time? The reason why I ask is because it's better for the fish if the pH is stabalized. A constant change in pH or a large swing in pH can shock them. Even if the fish's optimum pH range is outside of your pH, it's still better for them not to mess with it but it would be best for you to choose a fish based on the exact pH level of your water instead of the other way around. How about some harlequin rasboras (I have a school of 11 and love them)? Harpua2002 is selling some really nice fish that aren't available in your typical LFS so I'd recommend checking out what he has to offer

Narwhal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My mom wants to have Harlequin Rasboras in the tank... I'll think about it.

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe a couple guppies as centerpiece fish and then small tetras (rummy noses or neons) for your school of fish. A couple cories or heck even shrimps or a few ADF's for bottom dwellers. Just one more idea!

Narwhal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I want to get a Gourami for my centerpiece and Harlequins, Neons, or a type of Barb for the school. I want some ADFs. What's their pH requirement, and what diseases can they get? I'm going to have Cories in the tank, too.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know that dwarf gouramis get the dwarf gourami disease sometimes after you buy them and it kills them. On of our dwarf gouramis got it and died 2 days after we got it. But I don't know much about it only that it effects DGs. But if you want a gourami that stays small you can get a honey gourami or a honey sunset gourami, they both stay small and aren't effected by the DG disease. You can buy honey sunset gouramis at petsmart and they are a really pretty reddish orange color and they are peaceful fish

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have 6 harlequin rasboras. they are cute, peaceful fish. i like them.....i'm glad you're considering them. it seems people like neons and barbs better cos of their colors....but rasboras are fairly hardy, and not nippy.

have you considered any corys?

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ADF's often do much better in a species tank than in a community. They have poor eyesight and are really slow swimmers so they have a hard time getting their share at mealtime. I'm afraid I can't help much with diseases or pH requirements. I believe Lucy has ADF's and put together a pretty awesome care sheet for them.

ADF Care Sheet

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry you guys were probably thinking why I started talking about DGs all the sudden, I don't know why but when I first saw ADF I immediately thought dwarf gourami instead of african dwarf frog. Haha lol my bad

Last edited:

Narwhal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I didn't want ADFs as much as the others I posted, but I do want something other than a fish in the tank. The pH will probably be 6.8-7.2 in the tank. I want a Pearl Gourami or a Gold Gourami or a Blue Gourami.

aquariumgirl lauren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used to have two pearl gouramis and they are really pretty and fun to watch, but gold and blue gouramis are a pretty color. If you want the gourami as your center piece a gold or blue gourami would be more striking becuase of their color but pearls I think not 100% sure, but I think they are smaller than the blue and gold. Pearls I think get around 4 inches and blue and gold get around 6 inches. It really justs depends of what you like the best

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
To be honest, I would start by getting the Bristlenose Pleco out of your 10 gallon and move it to your 20. I know you wanted low waste producers, but Plecos of any type really don't belong in 10 gallon tanks. Removing the Pleco would allow you to get more cherry barbs and another cory for your 10 gallon and get those schools in order.

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I notice some just don't like the idea of ADF's being kept in community tanks with tropical fish. I've always thought it's been successfully done throughout the hobby. I was going to pick some up today but maybe I'll go with some shrimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom