What Should I Add to My 29 gal?

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all,
I was realizing that we only have 4 fish in the 29 gal! We actually have 7 life forms (2 crabs and a snail) but only 4 fish. There's 2 platys, 1 black skirt tetra, and a serpae tetra. I bought the tetras when I didn't know they should have friends, or I would have gotten more. Right now, here's what I'm thinking of adding:
3 serpae tetras (total of 4)
3 black skirt tetras (total of 4)
rainbow shark (would he have enough room???)
and maybe 3 or 4 tiger barbs. Not set on the barbs yet though. Would that overstock my tank? Would I have room for a centerpiece fish like a gourami? I'm not very good about stocking my tank. I don't have to have the shark if he would be cramped, but I'd really like one. I would also like to get the little serpae some friends. Any thoughts, comments, ideas?
x

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
You could have 5-6 serpae and 5-6 black skirts in your tank. The rainbow shark would be too cramped as they need a much larger tank size. Personally I'd stay away from the tiger barbs in your tank. They can become territorial and are notorious fin nippers.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hey!
you given a thought to corys or neons?..4 of each of those tetras on the list should be fine and you should have room for a gourami too.. a dwarf one would be best..(i think the dwarf ones have best colors)

also +1 on the barb and shark info... nippy fishies..

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, thanks guys! So the shark and barbs are out. Well . . .would cories have enough food? How big a group do they like to be in? I don't want to overstock on algae eating creatures, and we already have 2 crabs and a snail . . . . neons would be cool though. So, maybe I have (after I'm done buying)
3 serpaes
3 black skirts
5 neons
and a gourami?
or maybe instead of the neons like 3 cories? Whatcha think? This tank is going to (hopefully!) look really different once I'm done planting and stocking it! Oh, btw, is there some kind of plant that is like 3 inches tall, and looks like grass? We saw this fish tank in Germany when we were there last year, and my mom (and I) really liked the "grass" in it. It was like 2 or 3 inches tall, and looked a little bit like giant hairgrass, only it had little projections coming off of it, and was much shorter. Do you have any idea what it is??

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
actually corys would rather eat flakes(or pellets or w/e else your feeding at the time) along with the other fish, mine rarely even touch it..(thats what my BN is for )
in fact my corys are very fond of meaty foods, they just go bonkers for just about anything you toss their way.
so if you fall in love with corys don't feel that they won't have food.(they catch on fast to where the food comes and goes..(and comes from.. beggers..)
most suggest a group of 4+.. i had a lone albino cory for a long time before i got 3 julii corys.. they are all friendly with each other but rarely they are all together.
3 should be just fine... or if you can find some you could get a buncha pygmi corys!... but i've no idea how they get along with crabs?
catfish are one of my fave groups of fish.. i always 'pester' other to get some(can ya tell )
i think the list you have ATM looks good though..(with or without the corys...)
and tanks looking dif, can be as easy at moving a few key decor.. might not seem like much at first, but change focal points can draw attention to other not always noticed areas... or bring hideouts to the front (or side) to view!.. i recently put a piece of driftwood in my tank, and i can almost always find my pleco and loaches there, and the corys ...

as for the plant.. it could be a whole lot of things...maybe you can find it on this site...(if you look for awhile lol)

Butters

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've found that tetras need to be in groups of at least 6... so I would bump the numbers of all tetra groups up to six or even seven.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read very few good things about keeping crabs with fish, especially as they get older. I'd worry about the corys and a gourami around them.

Nix the shark like everyone else said. The tiger barbs would nip fins too much.

I'm with Butters, the tetras really need groups of at least 6.

The plant might be a micro sword, that's the only grass-like plant that isn't smooth that I can think of at this late hour.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom