5 Gallon Tank What should be my water change schedule

Cryptex

20210701_153503.jpg
I have a 5 gal tank for my single betta fish and I cant get test strips and kits out where I live because of import duty and things and I havent found anyone carrying the local brand ones. People are telling me to do a 50 percent every week and this boggles me. One single fish in this much water and I need to be doing 50 percent a week? Just wanted a second opinion. ask questions if u need more clarity and I will answer them! thanks!

carsonsgjs

You probably dont need to do 50% a week based on having one fish in a 5g but in a tank that size, it wont be an arduous task. It would be good to understand your nitrate levels and other parameters but without testing your water, we wont know that.

water changes are about more than just removing nitrates though - it also replenishes other important elements to keep your fish healthy and thriving.

Upvote 0

Yeoy

It also depends on how much you're feeding your fish. Is that sponge the only filter?

Upvote 0

saqib

Your profile has details about a 20 gallon tank but not this one so asking, how long has it been from the day you setup this aquarium? did you use any seeded media or starting with everything new?
If starting from scratch then doing a 50% water change will definitely help you, given its a 5 gallon tank it should be fairly easy to do. Dont risk it.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

You ask for a second opinion on the 5 gallon tank with no lid and about 4.3 gallons of water.

I would change 50% at least once a week.
So my opinion is you should change 50% once a week minimum until you get a test kit.

I have had many fish jump out of tanks with ill fitting lids .

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I have found with 5 gallon tanks and bettas, that once a week at 50% can be OK, but tough to avoid fin rot, especially with bigger finned bettas. I have found with those, 2 50% or 1 50% and 1 25-30% changes a week did well in a 5 gal to avoid finrot.

Upvote 0

Katie Dawn

Hi Cryptex, welcome to Fishlore!

I agree with others that 50% per week isn't going overboard at all. If you had access to a test kit you could play around with it and track your parameters over time when doing a 25% weekly water changes. But since you don't have that option it would be better to stay a little conservative which will ensure you're providing healthy water for your betta. Things can go wrong quickly in such a small tank, so keeping the water pristine will save you a lot of problems.

Also, siphoning out 50% of the water takes maybe 3 minutes longer than siphoning out just 25%, so it really won't make much difference in your life. But your fish will appreciate it!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AverageAquarist22
  • Question
Replies
Views
IwanamalawI
Replies
Views
RayMichelle