What should be my first real plant in my aquarium?

hawkifan74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm really open to anything. I'd like a plant that would grow fairly tall as my tank is almost 2' in height. Thanks for your suggestions!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

hawkifan74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll look it up. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a plant that sort of had that Lilley pad effect only on a smaller scale?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hawkifan74 said:
I did find a plant that resembles lily pads on Google but I can't seem to post the link properly.

I see your link, but I don't see anything specific.

Chunk101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, I love the look of pennyworts. But my goldfish finally ended up destroying them, along with many, many, many others.....sigh

TheChefSLC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
goldfish do like plants!

with goldfish you could add LOTS or duckweed, they will love to snack on that. and if you have enough in the tank, you will not have to worry about it all being eaten.

waterlilykari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was actually wondering the same and will be following this thread to see what others reply with. Good luck on your first foray into planting!

Locotron

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rotala rotundifolia
In my experience it just keeps growing until it hits the top then will have to be trimmed. Looks like a beautiful bush if you plant a lot of stems together.

Under the right conditions they will grow very fast.

hawkifan74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Anders247 said:
I see your link, but I don't see anything specific.
TheChefSLC said:
goldfish do like plants!

with goldfish you could add LOTS or duckweed, they will love to snack on that. and if you have enough in the tank, you will not have to worry about it all being eaten.
Probably should have mentioned that I have 2 large angels. Lots of tetras, & 10 marble hatchets. I'm looking to add plants for all the good that they do in an aquarium and to give my angels something they might snack on.

waterlilykari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My goldfish leave my anubias plants alone and although they probably had a hand (or fin ) in destroying much of what I had before, there is a good chance that I unfortunately had a part in that when I bit off more than I could chew during initial tank setup and then a move. They ignore the anubias completely when its stationary, will taste test the roots if it somehow comes loose of its anchor which occasionally happens during rearranging, but they are definitely not continually taking bites out of it like they did with everything else. I believe there are varieties that grow bigger than the ones I picked out to be a foreground plant but you would have to look through the available ones in your area and do some research comparing them to your tank parameters before trusting my word on it because I am by no means an expert in planted tanks. I will say though, in the same vein as duckweed a steady supply of anacharis (and plant weights to hold it together if you don't like the look of it floating free) does wonders for giving fish something tasty to nibble on. I have found it works best to pick up several bunches at a time soon after it arrives at the pet store so its fresh and find a balance where they are not eating so much that it kills the plant (or simply leaves you with an ugly stem covered in nubbins that used to be lush green leaves until they got to it). If you can get enough that it grows as fast if not faster than they are gulping it down, it will be self propagating. With my goldies being the piggies they were, three or four bunches lasted us nearly three months before I had to buy it again but they had also grown enough in that time to need more to keep up with their appetites and still be able to grow. Maybe with enough edible alternatives to the plants you choose for decor and other benefits, they will leave the "nicer" plants alone and the edible plants being added to the diet of goldies (and many other fish as well) has the benefits of both oxegenating the water prior to being snacked on and when eaten also preventing or aiding things like constipation or gassiness causing bloat/swim bladder issues. In fact, when we ran out of anacharis at one point one of my goldfish that was prone to temporary bouts of bloat did not seem to be recovering within a few hours as she usually did, I just bought several bunches, undid one of the bunches from the plant weights they frequently come with, let the loose anacharis drift at the surface around where she was floating upside down. I made sure a few were always within reach if she was hungry and offered no other food for a few days. She was back to her normal self within two to three days of it and hasn't had bloat since we started keeping anacharis in the tank at all times and not just as an occasional treat for snacking on.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
What kind of lightning do you have on your tank? That will be important. I would suggest Jungle Val or Banana plant, they don't require really high amounts of light.
Good luck, every time I try plants, I feel like I'm catering a salad bar for my Severums :/

TheChefSLC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ARTPOP said:
I started with Java fern and Anubias Nana!
They require low light and are slow growing so perfect if you just wanna dump them in!

Also you just tie it to a driftwood or rock, don't bury the roots in the substrate or they will die, but should be fine after that!
actually, you can bury the roots, just not the rhizomes. These will rot if buried and kill the plant.

I have a large anubias nana that has buried its root into the sand. It has also been tied to a piece of cholla wood

tameone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had a banana plant that easily reached the top of a 13" water height in a medium-low light setting.. It was probably closer to 16-18" but was wrapped up a bit. It made a nice lily pad effect on the top of the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom