What shall I do for my 314 gallon??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Mattmez, Jul 3, 2015.

1. MattmezValued MemberMember

I am setting up a 314 gallon made up of 6 55 gallon tanks. I will connect them with aquarium silicon. What should I do about the filters. I was thinking about 4 up to 100 gallon filters (fluval 406) any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I dont know that structurally speaking, this is even feasible. The glass used on a larger tank is also thicker to account for the extra weight and pressure of that much water. In my opinion, it would cost you much less to have a local glass shop custom make a tank, with the proper glass thickness, to whatever size youd like. Butchering 6 tanks to make one large one just screams disaster. Not trying to be a downer, but being realistic, there are just way too many issues, I think it would likely burst before you even fill it all the way up.

3. KaliskaValued MemberMember

I think you should send it to me. ;) What type of stocking do you like? Personally I like lots of little fish. In my 90 I had my congo tetras as the most obvious fish, a blue gourami, sparkling gouramis, threadfin rainbows, farlowellas, wood shrimp, dojo loaches, otos, and a pleco. If I'm not stocking groups of small fish I usually pick a more midsized fish for a species tank like rams, I had some really interesting blue cichlids once that I don't remember what they were, and I'm working on an orange spotted sunfish tank right now. I also usually try to decide ahead of time if I want to do plants or rocks because some critters won't be good with plants and some love plants. The substrate, lighting, and filtration are all dependent on the purpose of my tank too.

4. Blk69Valued MemberMember

That is going to be a big tank. Thinking you could pretty much do whatever you wanted. How about some fresh water sting rays. If you can keep them small enough could have a bunch of Ciclids also. That would be cool.

Or if you are looking for something different, how about 100 glofish and a blacklight.

5. OP
    OP
    M

MattmezValued MemberMember

Yea I am looking to do South american themed. I was also thinking like someone said above have a custom glass thing to go all around my basement. I calculated that to be 1,122 gallons :)

6. NicoFord

NicoFordValued MemberMember

When you water test this Frankenstein, do it outside =p

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    M

I decided I'm going to do the custom glass instead of the 55 gallons.

And yes I will try it out side so I don't get 1,122 gallons of water on my floor ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
  8. NicoFord

NicoFordValued MemberMember

Sweet! That should be cool. Still 300 gallons?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. Aloeb1

Aloeb1Valued MemberMember

With a big thank like that I'd go with a South American tank with maybe oscars or a jaguar cichlid. You definitely are giving yourself plenty of options.

10. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What do you want to do in it?
    A huge group of mbuna or victorian haps would be awesome.

11. OP
    OP
    M

Thinking about a huge school of angels and discus ($$$$) and Sand Knifefish for the bottom. Also schools of various tetras and a variety of L plecos

12. Blk69Valued MemberMember

No stingrays???? The blue spotted ones look cool!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice