what sex is this german blue ram

1. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

when i bought it it had a really pink belly, and im pretty sure its female but i dont know if they're pairing up so i want to make sure.
    6929285038_9c1dbae4be_b.jpg

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Actually it looks like a male.

3. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

are you sure? the anal fin is rounded, the belly is pink, and the body is more round and "fat"

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

The female fish is smaller than the male and have more pink pigmentation on her ventral region. If you look at the anterior region of the dorsal fin, you can see that her fin rays are less developed. It is also common for females to have a plumper body shape and more rounded edging of the tailfin. The back of the dorsal and anal fins have a more pointy edge in the male ram, and the tail fin is also more sharply edged. The male ram can be recognized on his V-shaped tail fin and the elongated second ray that is present in the dorsal fin. That being said, I think it is a male.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think that's a really bad angle to be able to identify the sex. Perhaps you could get more of a profile shot.

6. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

7032782823_99fe6ac75e.jpg
    6887781054_e75fb705d2_m.jpg

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Seems like (s)he hasn't colored up enough yet. Try waiting for a while and see how (s)he colors up. It's always easier to sex Rams after they are comfortable in their environment.

8. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

those last pics are completely colored up from the store.

9. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

here's another one.
    7076793081_5150b555b0_b.jpg

10. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Ah, that's a much better picture ;). Definitely a female IMO. There is blue dots on her black spot, black stripes on her ventral fins, and a slightly tinted belly (which can be on both sexes but is most commonly seen in females). Here's a good article on sexing them - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/germanblueram.php

11. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ok awesome. now to figure out how to tell if my gold male and her are pairing. so far he just chases her and shes lost some color.

12. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh, I'm sure they'll bicker back and forth for at least a week lol.

13. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

ive had her for like 2 weeks now.

14. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

That's funny. Maybe he doesn't like her color. I tried not to mix different color strains of fish because of that.

15. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

he chases her around, but i think he might not be over his last mate that disapeared (if thats possible for fish). maybe when i move them to the 40 the new surroundings will get him ready.