What sex is this Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish??

1. lexicon Initiate Member

I recently bought 9 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish and my intention was to buy all males although I am not so sure about the one in the picture.

Can anyone have a go at sexing it for me please?

[​IMG]

2. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

It's a male.

3. lexicon Initiate Member

That's what I thought. It's just that he gets hassled a lot, always keeps himself to himself and I often see in the morning on some of the others that stripe they flash on the top of their head. I thought it was to do with breeding but maybe they use it for dominance also?

4. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

I can't be sure from the picture but if the fin color is orangey-red as opposed to red-red, it's a female. Their orangey-red color is pretty bright but the males' color is a definite red. Both sexes have the irridescent blue body in certain lights.

5. lexicon Initiate Member

Well unfortunately I have just found him belly up at the bottom of the tank!

I'm not 100% sure it was a male as he was incredibly stressed and had been for about the last week so I'm not surprised that this has happened. I do suspect that he was a female as from the start he kept himself to himself, even in the bag travelling back from the LFS, he was at one end and all the others at the other end. I did try to get all males (which I may have still done) but I suspect this was in fact a female.

The others all look healthy though and are shoaling so maybe balance will finally be restored.

6. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Sorry to hear that! But good that the others are doing okay and I hope they stay that way :;th