What Sex Are My Gold Rams?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by missrob, Jun 14, 2019.

1. missrobNew MemberMember

Hello!

Could you help me determine if I have a male and a female? I was told both males....but the dorsal and pectoral fins shapes are different. Anyone can help me?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry, I have to agree with two males. There is always some variability, so the slight differences you are noticing are individual, not sexual.

3. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

I would also say two males.

4. Thedudeiam94Well Known MemberMember

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Guess I'll be lonely with my opinion, I think it's a male and female...

6. missrobNew MemberMember

Interesting! What makes you think that? Thanks!

7. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Fin shape, and body and fin coloration mostly, size too. I think the bigger and brighter one on the left is male, and the smaller paler one on the right is female. The one on the left also has quite a pointy analfin compared to the one and the right.

8. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I am pretty confident that they are two males as well.
    I am coming to that conclusion based mostly on the shape of their bodies, but also the length of the anal fins.

I see Coralbandit has already been called. I will throw @AquaticJ a mention as well.

9. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Lol, if one was female I was going to guess the more golden one! I think they are probably two males, but curious what others say.

Btw, do you think the lighter one has some electric blue genes? I'm curious if gold genes and EB genes creates a whiter (platinum) ram.

10. Thedudeiam94Well Known MemberMember

The hard part is they both have certain male attributes. So it’s too hard for me to tell.

11. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Is it the same way with blue rams then...? If it is I've been extremely backwards for a while..

12. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

What do you mean? Blue rams have more color than EB. I was thinking they'd be considered wild type. But I really don't know with rams. I wanted to try it out, but never got a chance yet. Figured someone would know by now haha!

13. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Two males. Don’t look too hard everyone, first thing is to look at the analfins. Both are long enough to enter the start of the caudal fin.

@angelcraze you’re right in that a EB/Gold cross would be a platinum looking color, but not like this.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  14. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Two males

15. coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

You are indeed alone !
    Both males 99% .J nailed it didn't take two looks ..analfin kids !That and they are both beast in proportion and the bright gold has vent showing [tiny pointed thing !]...:cool:
    I get both colors of gold from same parents so who knows why ?
    Gold female rams get red bellies also.
    Gold and EBR make Pearl ...

16. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

I meant are blue ram females brighter colored compared to males, sorry.

17. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

No need to apologize! I only have 3 female Blue rams. But I don't think they are brighter. They have a more purple belly....I really don't know what causes more 'glitter' on some. My female Blue rams are colorful, but I've seen more colourful ones. Like more iridescence.

Oh lol, I think I know what you're saying now! I just thought the gold one had a very round dorsal fin end. It wasn't the color I was going by. I see how you thought that. Were you going on color?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  18. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Ok, at least I'm right about my rams then lol. Her colors have almost gotten as strong and bright as the males, but her pink/purple belly is a good give away.

19. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Yeah pink ;) I said purple.....thinking of kribensis.

20. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

I'm not even going to guess :p I'll just welcome you to the forum instead!