What Sex Are My Cichlids

Eshalville

Here are a couple pictures.. I can’t tell if they are male or female.. thanks

Amazoniantanklvr

The first and second one looks female to me. Are they the same fish? What are they (species)?

Eshalville

Red zebra I think. Here’s a couple more pictures of them. Two different ones

Amazoniantanklvr

1 pic: I think male b/c of the egg spots

The others I can't tell because I can't see the fins or the breeding tube.

Eshalville

Okay here’s a couple more pictures

MacZ

Those are peacocks. Look like very pale dragonbloods. One has an interestingly deformed snout. Can't tell for sure, whether it's females or stressed males.

A201

Male Mbuna will usually have multiple egg spots on the analfin while females might have one or two, some have zero egg spots.

Eshalville

Honestly, I love his/her twisty face. That’s what we call him/her. I just got them in the 12th.. so maybe stressed? Twisty Face is VERY friendly and always interacting with me. Shy Guy usually in the back hiding. So to get him/her out to take a picture, I kind of have to wave my hand back there to get him to swim out. Might be stressful?

A201

IMO, Twisty face looks to be a male Red Zebra.

MacZ

A201 said:
IMO, Twisty face looks to be a male Red Zebra.
I dunno. Look at the dorsal and tail fin markings. They have both the same. Also the pale gills and face with that stronger pigmentation in the neck. You don't see that that often in Mbuna.

Demeter

I agree that they look like pale dragon bloods. I feel they are both female but can’t say for sure.

Also, why are there goldfish with them? African cichlids should be kept mainly with other Africans. Goldies and Africans have rather different temperature needs and vastly different temperaments.

A201

Here is a pic of a male Dragonblood I grew out, and a pic of a male Red Zebra I currently keep. Although the OP's fish is a bit deformed, it has that Zebra shape. Africans can be so frustrating to identify. Lol.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom