What schooling fish should I get?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What kind of loaches? Many loaches are schooling fish, and would do better in groups of 6+. Panda cories are schooling fish too.

Danios do well in cooler water, and they're a great schooling fish! Groups of 6+ are recommended, but in a 29 gal, you might do best with only 6.

OP
shusband

shusband

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's a weather loach. About 5 inches

My pandas are in a school. I plan on getting a few more once they go on sale. 9$ each is a bit much.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't blame you! I wait until they go on sale too.

Your loach is supposed to reach 12 inches as an adult, which is too large for your tank. Would you consider rehoming him? That would give you room for more cories on the bottom.

What do you think about danios? Lots of different types, all very active and fun to watch!

OP
shusband

shusband

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll move him to my 55 or get a new tank. If necessary I'll re home him. I've already thought about it. I've read most stay under 8" in aquariums.

The danios are pretty cool. I like the celestial pearl or whatever they are called. I haven't seen any kinds besides zebra or giant at my local pet stores or fish shop. But the local family owned fish store does do special orders. Currently getting some African shell dwellers from them. Any other kind of small schooling fish that do well in slightly cooler water?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They stay under 8" usually because their growth is stunted, which is bad health-wise

Danios also come in leopard and long-finned varieties, plus many more! I think black skirt tetras would also do well in 74 F, but maybe someone will more experience in cooler tanks can chime in!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Harlequin rasboras are very peaceful fish, So are glowlight tetras and they come in the regular form and the albino form. Alison

OP
shusband

shusband

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The pearl gouramI are much more peaceful than three spot. They are still smaller ~2 inch. The have plenty of silk plants to hide in but I've never seen any aggression.

I'm currently keeping black skirts in another tanks so is like to try another species. I'll look into the other suggestions.

The glow light tetras and harlequin rasboras nice little fish. I like the body shape of the glow lights. Are there other tetras with that body shape but other colors? What about live bearers?

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sword tails or platties. the platties are smaller than swords but they both come in lots of different colors. Live bearers as a rule prefer harder water than the tetras. Guppies also come in lots of different colors and tail types. Alison

OP
shusband

shusband

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My water is hard. Natural well water. I've got the pH in the tank down to 7.8.

Really like the platys might do those or the glow light tetras.

macnoodle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Another vote for harlequin rasboras. I like my guppies, but a group of harlequins is an awesome sight, and they are extremely peaceful. That said, with your water conditions guppies might be the better bet.

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Platies would work, they don't school but they're very social with one another.

macnoodle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
macnoodle said:
Another vote for harlequin rasboras. I like my guppies, but a group of harlequins is an awesome sight, and they are extremely peaceful. That said, with your water conditions guppies might be the better bet.
BTW, my tap water comes out at a pH of about 7.6, and while I do condition my tank water down to about 7.2, my harlequins are happy at a pH of 7.6. They are very adaptable fish!

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a school of 14 Harlequins in my 55g, very active and peaceful fish. I also have male fancy guppies, and while they don't school per se, they do like to hang out with eachother. They swim all over the place, with no rhyme or reason. I feel like they add that little splash of crazy to the tank without causing anyone grief. In your size tank, id recommend either 8 Harlequins, or 5 male fancy guppies.

macnoodle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bluestreakfl said:
I feel like they add that little splash of crazy to the tank without causing anyone grief.
That describes male guppies perfectly. My five guys are just that - a splash of crazy!

OP
shusband

shusband

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll see if my lfs has any harlequins next time I stop in. It'll be ~2 weeks since I'll be out of town.

New Threads