What schooling fish should I get?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by shusband, Jul 27, 2015.

1. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

I have a 29 gallon with 3 pearl gourami, panda cories, and a loach. Keep the temperature at 74. I haven't looked into many kinds of schooling fish. I'd like to see what you recommend since there are so many options. I've kept neon tetras which are cool, and I'm currently keeping some black skirt tetras in my 55.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of loaches? Many loaches are schooling fish, and would do better in groups of 6+. Panda cories are schooling fish too.

Danios do well in cooler water, and they're a great schooling fish! Groups of 6+ are recommended, but in a 29 gal, you might do best with only 6.

3. OP
    OP
    shusband

It's a weather loach. About 5 inches

My pandas are in a school. I plan on getting a few more once they go on sale. 9$ each is a bit much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  4. TexasDomer

I don't blame you! I wait until they go on sale too.

Your loach is supposed to reach 12 inches as an adult, which is too large for your tank. Would you consider rehoming him? That would give you room for more cories on the bottom.

What do you think about danios? Lots of different types, all very active and fun to watch!

5. OP
    OP
    shusband

I'll move him to my 55 or get a new tank. If necessary I'll re home him. I've already thought about it. I've read most stay under 8" in aquariums.

The danios are pretty cool. I like the celestial pearl or whatever they are called. I haven't seen any kinds besides zebra or giant at my local pet stores or fish shop. But the local family owned fish store does do special orders. Currently getting some African shell dwellers from them. Any other kind of small schooling fish that do well in slightly cooler water?

6. TexasDomer

They stay under 8" usually because their growth is stunted, which is bad health-wise :(

Danios also come in leopard and long-finned varieties, plus many more! I think black skirt tetras would also do well in 74 F, but maybe someone will more experience in cooler tanks can chime in!

7. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

my personal favorite for schooling fish are cherry barbs. but that's just me.

harlequin rasboras are pretty awesome too.

Are your pearl gourami's getting along well? I would think 3 in that small of a tank would cause aggression issues.

8. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Harlequin rasboras are very peaceful fish, So are glowlight tetras and they come in the regular form and the albino form. Alison

9. OP
    OP
    shusband

The pearl gourami are much more peaceful than three spot. They are still smaller ~2 inch. The have plenty of silk plants to hide in but I've never seen any aggression.

I'm currently keeping black skirts in another tanks so is like to try another species. I'll look into the other suggestions.

The glow light tetras and harlequin rasboras nice little fish. I like the body shape of the glow lights. Are there other tetras with that body shape but other colors? What about live bearers?

10. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Sword tails or platties. the platties are smaller than swords but they both come in lots of different colors. Live bearers as a rule prefer harder water than the tetras. Guppies also come in lots of different colors and tail types. Alison

11. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I have 3 male guppies, and 2 male platy's in my tank. The guppies are much more entertaining IMO.

12. OP
    OP
    shusband

My water is hard. Natural well water. I've got the pH in the tank down to 7.8.

Really like the platys might do those or the glow light tetras.

13. M

Mully60 Valued Member Member

I agree, I love my harlequin rasboras!

14. m

macnoodle Valued Member Member

Another vote for harlequin rasboras. I like my guppies, but a group of harlequins is an awesome sight, and they are extremely peaceful. That said, with your water conditions guppies might be the better bet.

15. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Platies would work, they don't school but they're very social with one another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. m

BTW, my tap water comes out at a pH of about 7.6, and while I do condition my tank water down to about 7.2, my harlequins are happy at a pH of 7.6. They are very adaptable fish!

17. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I have a school of 14 Harlequins in my 55g, very active and peaceful fish. I also have male fancy guppies, and while they dont school per se, they do like to hang out with eachother. They swim all over the place, with no rhyme or reason. I feel like they add that little splash of crazy to the tank without causing anyone grief. In your size tank, id recommend either 8 Harlequins, or 5 male fancy guppies.

18. m

That describes male guppies perfectly. My five guys are just that - a splash of crazy! :D

19. OP
    OP
    shusband

I'll see if my lfs has any harlequins next time I stop in. It'll be ~2 weeks since I'll be out of town.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice