What salt for popeye?

MushuCarlton

Hello. One of my betta's seems to have developed unilateral popeye over night. I believe it's from an injury and I'm not worried about it being fatal, but I would like to start treating soon so that he can return to health.

I've read a lot of mixed opinions on whether to use aquarium salt or epsom salt for popeye. Which would you all recommend?

Also, I have absolutely no idea how to do a salt bath. Somebody please explain this to me!

Thank you.

image.jpg
image.jpg

nikm128

I would suggest avoiding salt, I've treated popeye before and there was no difference in recovery time with/without salt. It's really more of a keeping the water cleaner than usual IMO
What are the parameters?

gregoranddexter1816

water change 25% every other day or 10% everyday. If it continues in a week or gets any worse or he develops anything I would look into antibiotics in case it doesn't heal by itself. Maybe add stresscoat to help him stay calm. Follow instructions for aquarium salt on the back. I used it once and it helped but not much. Never tried salt baths... Most improtant thing with aquarium salt is dont use it with plants in the tank and don't use for more than 10 days since its freshwater and really they don't need salt.

BettaBusinessBureau

Hello. One of my betta's seems to have developed unilateral popeye over night. I believe it's from an injury and I'm not worried about it being fatal, but I would like to start treating soon so that he can return to health.

I've read a lot of mixed opinions on whether to use aquarium salt or epsom salt for popeye. Which would you all recommend?

Also, I have absolutely no idea how to do a salt bath. Somebody please explain this to me!

Thank you.

image.jpg
image.jpg
My Napoleon and I are in the same boat. One of his eyes puffed up almost overnight so it seems he bumped into something flying around his domain. He also has some fin rot I'm trying to stay in front of with aquarium salt when I change his water too. I've been scouring the internet & Youtube the past two days trying to figure out the best course of action for popeye. I finally decided to give him an Epsom salt bath tonight to at least try and bring down the swelling. Contrary to what others have experienced, Napoleon's not behaving sickly at all. He's alert & playing his favorite follow my finger game as always. He's eating his 2 small meals every day on schedule, no problem. I think I watched every video there is on how to do the bath but I was still terrified I would hurt him somehow. We made it through though. Here's how I did it: First I moved him to his usual studio apartment bowl where he always hangs out during water changes. He knows the routine...he's very smart. Then I run the new, clean water to a degree or two over the temperature he's currently in testing it with my thermometer so when it cools a bit during the time it takes me to clean, etc., when I move him back home he doesn't have a temperature flux adding to his annoyance. Recommended dosages & time limits vary. I chose to err on the side of caution so I used 1/2 a teaspoon by proper measurement of 100% pure Epsom salt, it CANNOT have any additives or fragrance, in a 1/2 gallon of water for exactly 10 minutes. Some people used more salt and/or less water for longer times, but I followed my instincts. I put the Epsom salt and 6 drops of API Stress Coat in the water. While I waited for it to dissolve fully I cleaned and prepped Napoleon's tank. I added his usual aquarium salt & stress coat, cleaned & put back his ornaments. While the aquarium salt was dissolving, I returned to the 1/2 gallon Epsom salt bath, gave it a stir to make sure the salt dissolved then tested the water pH to get it just right. I put Napoleon in his bath and set the timer for 10 minutes. He gently swam around mostly resting on the bottom. He looked relaxed. I went back to his tank, gave it a stir to make sure the aquarium salts dissolved, and tested the water pH to get it ready for his return. I cheered him on the whole time. I think that's important (wink). In exactly 10 minutes I got him out and gently reintroduced him to his home court where he anxiously dove in and swam around like business as usual. That's it. I've been checking on him every half hour to make sure he's ok and he seems to be. I'm hoping his eye looks and feels better tomorrow. Depending on him I'm gonna repeat the treatment as needed. I've also ordered Furan-2, Kanaplex, and Indian Almond Leaves. I'm feeling optimistic. I hope your little guy feels better soon!

Debbie1986

My female elephant ear got 1 sided popeye. I think it was an attack, not sure. she's a bit pushy.

I am thinking about moving her to a solo tank as she had a fight before & a ripped front fin. I *Think* as I did not see it.

so for last 10 days, I have been doing 5 gallon water changes every 48 hours using Prime & vacuuming
I also remove all decor to clean and wipe down the 20 gallon tank so no algae builds up on glass.

Tank is nicely plants 6 java ferns and other assorted plants which is why I have not removed her yet as she heals.

her eye has very little infection and is nearing pre-injury size. ( it was looking like a giant pimple but infection has died down)

Now , the meds I use aren't suited for plants ( no UV light) & I removed carbon. BUT I do leave light on for 3 hours so plants don't die & then dose. To me, removing the plants would be more stressful. moving her to a new tank, starting up a new tank= more stressful. she's lived among these same girls for nearly a year.

The water changes are key to recovery imo

I had 4 snails in the 20 gallon, but removed 2 to reduce bioload because no carbon

I used Microb-lift Artemiss as I had it on hand from my male elephant ear who passed ( He was too far advanced with some infection & died)

No pics, sorry. I wish I had taken them because the result have been dramatic. her eye was bulging but now it's almost resembling an eye again. Not sure if she'd blind or not. I should know in a few days.

I have ambient light in room, so the fish can see each other but her eye can rest & the meds aren't killed right off after dosing. Oh and I try to dose exactly! where she is so she gets a burst of meds right on contact. I see it as 'flushing' the wound to rid it of infection if you've ever seen an abscess or ulcer, direct contact so the meds penetrate the skin.

tomorrow no meds as it's been 10 days, but I plan on only having direct UV light when home. I want to monitor her. I used to leave it on 8-12 hours a day. if the infection isn;t completely gone by eds or thurs, I plan on dosing her 1 more time & then play it by ear.

gregoranddexter1816

My female elephant ear got 1 sided popeye. I think it was an attack, not sure. she's a bit pushy.

I am thinking about moving her to a solo tank as she had a fight before & a ripped front fin. I *Think* as I did not see it.

so for last 10 days, I have been doing 5 gallon water changes every 48 hours using Prime & vacuuming
I also remove all decor to clean and wipe down the 20 gallon tank so no algae builds up on glass.

Tank is nicely plants 6 java ferns and other assorted plants which is why I have not removed her yet as she heals.

her eye has very little infection and is nearing pre-injury size. ( it was looking like a giant pimple but infection has died down)

Now , the meds I use aren't suited for plants ( no UV light) & I removed carbon. BUT I do leave light on for 3 hours so plants don't die & then dose. To me, removing the plants would be more stressful. moving her to a new tank, starting up a new tank= more stressful. she's lived among these same girls for nearly a year.

The water changes are key to recovery imo

I had 4 snails in the 20 gallon, but removed 2 to reduce bioload because no carbon

I used Microb-lift Artemiss as I had it on hand from my male elephant ear who passed ( He was too far advanced with some infection & died)

No pics, sorry. I wish I had taken them because the result have been dramatic. her eye was bulging but now it's almost resembling an eye again. Not sure if she'd blind or not. I should know in a few days.

I have ambient light in room, so the fish can see each other but her eye can rest & the meds aren't killed right off after dosing. Oh and I try to dose exactly! where she is so she gets a burst of meds right on contact. I see it as 'flushing' the wound to rid it of infection if you've ever seen an abscess or ulcer, direct contact so the meds penetrate the skin.

tomorrow no meds as it's been 10 days, but I plan on only having direct UV light when home. I want to monitor her. I used to leave it on 8-12 hours a day. if the infection isn;t completely gone by eds or thurs, I plan on dosing her 1 more time & then play it by ear.
sometimes bringing the temp to 80 helps them heal. When my fish got Popeye (didn't act sick) and finrot i raised the temp to 80-82 F and that helped a lot. As well as almond leaves. And Most helpful tip!!!!!! sometimes Popeye can be caused by an internal issue. sounds crazy but maybe try putting the medication on the food (as long as its approve) time and patience too!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
chloelmaoo
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
feeshi
  • Question
Replies