What Salinity Do You Keep Your Green Spotted Puffers

YasM

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI All,

I just wanted to know what you guys keep your Green Spotted Puffers at? I know they say Brackish water is great 1.015, but I've also heard that you can go full salt water?

What do you keep your tank at?

My GSP's are approximately 8 months old and I keep them at 1.019 and they seem to be thriving.

Also, do you find they enjoy a warmer tank? I keep my tank at 83.5 - 84 Degrees and they seem to be most active.

Thanks!
Yas

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi! I don't think we have many GSP keepers around these days, but there is some good info here. I also have no experience with GSP's, but they are beautiful and I'd love to see yours!

Here are some good resources for you. I took a quick look and see the recommended temp range is 78° - 82°, so you're not far off. However, with most fish, keeping them at the high end of the range will increase their activity level and metabolism, which can lead to a shorter lifespan. I've not read this specifically about puffers, but I would feel more comfortable keeping one right in the middle of that range, so 80° sounds better long term.

Green Spotted Puffer Fish
Important - General Guide to Puffer Care

You might want to look more into pinkfloydpuffer 's threads. While it appears he hasn't been active here in many years, he was/is a puffer expert.

New Threads