What research do I have left?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by melovefish, Dec 17, 2012.

1. m

melovefish Valued Member Member

Im starting a saltwater aquarium, and was wondering what research do I have left. Ive covered water paramiters. Ive read up on acclimation and maintenece. Its fowlr tank so I dont have to worry about corals. I am running 2 peguin 350 filter on 55 gallon tank. have any questions ill leave a comment. Thanks!

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

3. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I researched 2 yrs before I even started my tank and I am still learning. My best advice is to take it slow and if you are gonna use the penguins take the bio wheels off and put active carbon and LR rubble in them. And make sure you get a protein skimmer it will safe you a huge headache in the long run. Plus make sure you have all your equipment before you even start. For a 55 I would do 40 lbs Dry LR and 20 lbs LR and 60lbs LS.

4. OP
    OP
    m

I Need some input.

Im starting a saltwater aquarium, Im looking for inputs with what wrong or needs some help. I plan on doing a 55 gallon fowlr- fish-only-with-live-rock tank. I went to my lfs and they had a 55 gallon marineland kit. That came with a heater peguin 350 and a nice led hood.

what i plan on doing is running 2, 350 peguins and the guy say that 2 peguins running will make my tanks spotless and will be enough flow to go without powerheads.Also saying that I would not have to run a protein skimmer because its fish only.Because originaly planed to run a wet dry with a protein skimmer but was way out of budget.i plan on doing regular sand. Im going to build my stand/canopy.

oh yeah and im doing 20% water changes every 2 weeks

ive done reasearch on acclimation, and what i was going to have to do [maintenece]. i know what water paramiters and what salintey i have to have. i know forgeting to type somthing and i know i missed somthing in general. so thanks! :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. ryanr

:;du Threads merged, please only start one thread per topic.

FO/FOWLR/Reef, I would still run a protein skimmer, and not bother with a traditional filter. For a FOWLR, IMO, 2 powerheads and a skimmer is all you need. Most SW fish are hand caught from the reefs, and are not used to nitrates. A skimmer will help keep your water crystal clear.

Have you researched water yet? NSW or ASW? RO/DI

Sand - I'd get an arognite based sand, it will help maintain alkalinity and pH in the environment.

Water changes - IMO, 10% every week is a better alternative (if possible). It helps keep nutrient levels down, and maintain salinity.

If you haven't already, I encourage you to read the guides I posted above, they will help give you a wider understanding of what you're embarking on.

6. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

For sure get a skimmer. I know you are watching the budget and I understand that. A skimmer is a very useful tool in SW. They are expensive for what you get but worth it in the long run. Use live sand which has been covered. Wet/dry filters are very expensive as well but they are worth a ton in SW. Before you decide on these things going forward look into a refugium. If you are a handy guy you can build one of these and save a ton of money. Let your tank cycle for a week, 2 weeks if possible and start slow with your fish. I would recommend a Damsel or 3 to start. They are hearty fish and inexpensive. This will not only make sure the water is safe for the later addidtions but having them will also help with the cycling process.

7. OP
    OP
    m

would it be okay, if I started it without a protein skimmer and added it on a little later after starting the aquarium?

8. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

IMO yes you can start with out a skimmer. A skimmer is just one of those tools that gets the fine gunk out of the water. More commonly used in reef tanks however recommended for fish only. Hey I know how expensive it is to get one running and when you get the bare essentials to start one its hard to hold back until you get everything. I say go for it but just dont let the skimmer idea slip away on your list.

:;toast

9. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Btw my 55 took 4 weeks to fully cycle so test every day until your readings are ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates <5 zero is perfect salinity 1.022 to 1.026 normal is 1.024 most fish do great in 1.024 temp 73 to 78 with 76 being the normal. And take it slow and remember you can only lightly stock a SW tank. Good luck :)

10. ryanr

Respectfully, I do not recommend using damsels, unless the end goal is to stock them. Just because they are hardy fish, does not mean they should be 'sacrificed' so to speak. Damsels can be aggressive fish, and can cause problems later on when you introduce other fish.

What are your stocking plans? If you can find tank-bred fish (not wild caught), they will typically be more hardy than their wild-caught counterparts.

Also - skimmers do not remove "fine gunk" as such. They remove dissolved organic compounds/carbons from the water. By removing DOCs, the organic matter is removed from the water helping to keep nitrate levels low(er). It just happens that a lot of the 'fine gunk' tends to be DOCs, so by virtue of removing them, the water is clearer. To remove other particles, mechanical filtration is required.

Your water will be 'safe for fish' when it has cycled. My tank cycled instantly (1 week) because I bought fresh live rock. Cycling can take 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks. Every system is different, and there is no guaranteed timeline.

You can definitely start your system without a skimmer, and in reality, many recommend not running the skimmer while the tank cycles, so that you maintain an ammonia source. I started my system with the skimmer running.

11. OP
    OP
    m

the guy at the fish store said that u only use live sand if u have to add sand to the tank when its up and running.

12. ryanr

On the contrary, I would not add live sand to a running system. Similar with adding live rock to a running system, there is a potential for a mini-cycle resulting from any die off that may occur.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice