What R These Fishes? (funny Video)

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Zhaner, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Zhaner

Zhaner Valued Member Member

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

I believe The one in the hole is a blue dot jawfish (or something similar)and the one kicking the sand in is a diamond blenny. Very fun fish to watch. I love that video btw...I find it extremely hilarious. I've seen some sharing a tank, but they are usually quite large; big enough so each has a sizable territory to themselves. Blennies can be bi-polar sometimes. They can be peaceful one second and totally rocky balboa the next They are neat fish tho.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

I mean... it's kind of fun to watch. But in reality, in their world, it's probably like us fighting over a parking spot lol.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Hahahaha great vid !!

5. OP
    OP
    Zhaner

Zhaner Valued Member Member

Do you think they could do well in 80g tank?

Also I want a boxfish, these 3 are highly intelligent fish species I suppose, making a shopping list for oncoming reef :)

Ps. Are there any other greatly intelligent or interactive fishes?

6. e

ezzelld New Member Member

Blennies
    Blennies reach a size of three inches and are typically bottom dwellers. Blenny Fish are somewhat territorial in nature, and only one species per tank is recommended. Extensive rockwork and a good growth of microalgae are necessary to successfully maintain them in captivity.

7. e

ezzelld New Member Member

I wanted a Blennie and fish store said I needed a well established tank with copopods for them to eat.

Blennies
    Blennies reach a size of three inches and are typically bottom dwellers. Blenny Fish are somewhat territorial in nature, and only one species per tank is recommended. Extensive rockwork and a good growth of microalgae are necessary to successfully maintain them in captivity.

8. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

Your fish store told you what? Blennies do not primarily subsist off of copepods, and they are not bottom dwellers. They are rock dwellers. Most eat algae, with the exception of some that are carnivorous like the Midas blenny that will eat meaty foods like Mysis shrimp. Were you by chance looking at a Madarin Goby?

The commonly available boxfish like the long horn cowfish need a tank larger then 80g. And they are not considered beginner fish either... I would pass for now unless you have a fair amount of experience and are planning a bigger tank! Just obtaining a healthy one can be a challenge... I finally gave up.

If you want a jawfish, you will need a deeper sand bed, at least 3 inches. You might be OK with a diamond goby, but personally I wouldn't do it. The diamond goby sifts through the sand for food and will cause problems like what the video shows. You would probably be fine with a non-sandsifting goby though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice