What Product(s) Do You Feed To Your Zebra Danios?

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by Shade89, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Shade89

Shade89Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +55
    Experience:
    Just started
    I got 2 zebra danios a few hours ago and purchased API Tropical Mini Pellets. My fish haven't eaten any yet because I think they're still adjusting to their new home like someone told me. I was just curious what specific food products people have had success with in feeding the danios?

2. Giul

GiulWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +563
    Experience:
    1 year
    Congrats on your new fish! Often fish will not eat the day you get them, that’s the normal stress of the move. I have successfully fed my danios flakes and freeze dried blood worms, and frozen blood worms. How big is your tank? Danios like to be in schools of 6 or more and I think the more the merrier!

3. OP
    OP
    Shade89

Ratings:
    +55
    Experience:
    Just started
    My tank is a 20 gallon long. These are my first 2 fish so I just got them to make sure everything is okay before I add any more. I might get some frozen blood worms to switch things up for them but hopefully they'll eat the pellets for now.

4. LiterallyABetta

LiterallyABettaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    4 years
    With a 20 long you can definitely add some more later and I’d highly recommend it (Make sure you quarantine them first!!). Pellets + some bloodworms and maybe some live food like mosquito wrigglers (you can harvest them yourself at the beginning of summer) should suffice.

5. CandyCane701

CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +438
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, and they also munch on algae wafers and large pellets. Zebra danios will attempt to eat almost anything you throw at them. It's completely normal for new fish to take a few days before they'll eat. Danios are schooling fish, so once you add more (at least 2-4) for them too feel more comfortable they'll settle in better.

6. Berryblue

BerryblueNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    4 years
    Mine will eat anything I give them, flakes, pellets, dried blood worms. They are really hardy fish and I am sure they will get settled very soon.

7. PheonixKingZ

PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +563
    Experience:
    4 years
    I feed my ZD some tropical flakes, dried bloodworms, and ocationally, pellets, but just from my experience, flakes are easier to swallow for such a small fish, than pellets would be....

8. Berryblue

BerryblueNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +25
    Experience:
    4 years
    Same as everyone else for me. They'll eat anything. They are resilient fish and you will have them for a very long time.

9. OP
    OP
    Shade89

Ratings:
    +55
    Experience:
    Just started
    At first all they ate were crushed up flakes but now they're starting to eat micro pellets and freeze dried bloodworms which I'll give them once a week.