What pleco is this

PowderHound

Reaction score
This is Major and I don’t think I know what she is. Was sold as a clown pleco. I know that there are multiple types even of the clowns, but this girl(?) just doesn’t seem to match any of them. Anyone have any ideas?
688527D7-DD3D-4CE4-8562-8E6E6000A82A.jpeg

OP
PowderHound

PowderHound

Reaction score
FinalFins said:
That is not a clown for sure, looks like a common pleco variety IMO. Beautiful fish though.
Ugh. Worst fear confirmed. I was after a clown type due to size, this is only a 30 gallon tank. We will have to see how she grows. Love her either way!

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
While the coloring isn’t quite as gold, it doesn’t look that far off in pattern from a gold spot pleco. L001. Some of the L001 pictures look different, but a lot look very similar. Most commons that I have seen (including the 2 that I kept at one point) were a more solid brown.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
PowderHound said:
Ugh. Worst fear confirmed. I was after a clown type due to size, this is only a 30 gallon tank. We will have to see how she grows. Love her either way!
According to a couple of online sources I see the gold spots get up to 12". That's still a big fish, and too large for a 30 gallon tank, but it's better than 24" (which the commons get up to).

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus, the Gold Spot Sailfin. There are L001 and L022 forms labelled, and the species can vary quite a bit beyond those. They can reach 12", but my 6 year old male is only 7" in a 120 gallon tank.

I bought two of them at about 2" at a spring auction with the name "Gold Spot Butterfly Pleco" on the bag. When I got home and tried to look them up, I found out what they actually were, good thing I had a 120 gallon tank.

OP
PowderHound

PowderHound

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus, the Gold Spot Sailfin. There are L001 and L022 forms labelled, and the species can vary quite a bit beyond those. They can reach 12", but my 6 year old male is only 7" in a 120 gallon tank.

I bought two of them at about 2" at a spring auction with the name "Gold Spot Butterfly Pleco" on the bag. When I got home and tried to look them up, I found out what they actually were, good thing I had a 120 gallon tank.
Thanks for this info! Sounds like I’ll have some time to get a large tank setup, fingers crossed!

New Threads