1 Gallon Tank What Plants?

Piaelliott

Hi,

I got a cute 1 gallon tank, 9*6*6 inches with rounded corners.
I would like to make a planted tank (no tech) out of it with a few pretty Lake Michigan pebbles

In the background I'd like some plants that grow out of the water, something that drapes over the edge on the side and something submersed in the front.

Any suggestions for smaller plants?
Jocelyn Adelman

Thanks!

CaptAnnDuchow

What besides plants are you putting in here?

Piaelliott

What besides plants are you putting in here?
Nothing, maybe a bladder snail if a lot of algae grows. It is too small for fish and invertebrates.

CaptAnnDuchow

Nothing, maybe a bladder snail if a lot of algae grows. It is too small for fish and invertebrates.
Just checking lol

angelcraze

This sounds interesting, such a cute little tank Where will you be putting it out of curiosity?

For the back, you'd want a plant that can grow emersed. I haven't tried it myself, but Mondo grass might be an idea. Also lucky bamboo, but it grows straight, not draping. Maybe you could do both with something in the front. It's a pretty tiny tank, but the plants don't take up that much space in it really since they grow out of it.

Do you have a light for the tank?

Bryangar

For the background I would do: Ludwigia, bacopa, pennywort or dwarf pennywort. These would look cool when they start growing out of the tank and they start to drape when growing emersed.

I would do a carpet of S. repens in the front, or maybe even DHG. Try garden soil capped with sand and you can even have it in front of a window to get good lighting.

Piaelliott

Do you have a light for the tank?
No light yet, either by window or a table lamp from Ikea.

Piaelliott

For the background I would do: Ludwigia, bacopa, pennywort or dwarf pennywort. These would look cool when they start growing out of the tank and they start to drape when growing emersed.

I would do a carpet of S. repens in the front, or maybe even DHG. Try garden soil capped with sand and you can even have it in front of a window to get good lighting.
Sounds great, thanks for the good ideas.

JAMarlow

Some type of Anubias nana petite and/or Anubias Nana Pangolino would look nice, and they don't need a lot of light. What comes through the window should be just fine. They stay nice and small, so they would be perfect for the foreground.

A few dwarf neocardina shrimp would find it a really nice home. They would help with any algae and have hardly any bioload. In fact, the plants would most likely appreciate having something in there providing just a little bit of a bioload.

AustinS

Please post a picture when it's all set up if you'd like!

angelcraze

I was also thinking anubias nana and bucephalandra, especially if you're using pepples. You could just glue them to the rocks. I also have needleleaf java fern in my 1 gallon vase, just a little bit for a variety. I keep one ramshorn snail who keeps it really clean too!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kanzekatores
Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
Replies
Views
Albifrons
Replies
Views