What plants would you suggest for a 55g Freshwater Angelfish tank?

ayen
I'm going to set up a 55 gallon Freshwater Angelfish tank, I want it to be moderate-heavily planted, and the lighting is gonna be moderate, not intense.

What would you suggest to plant in there and how many of each species?

Please suggest~

Dino
Anubias lanceolota.
It is a tall anubias and great for the angels to lay their eggs on.

jsalemi
Amazon Swords in the back; good hiding places, and also great for egg laying.

Gozer_1
Don't know much about Angels but I love my Water Sprite and Ludwigia repens. Pretty new to the planted aquarium too so that's about all I can give you. My Red WendtiI Crypts are doing well also. I have a moderate light level too so those 3 should be good for you. Like I said, I don't know what good it'd do for the Angels. They just look nice. lol

ayen
There are many plants for sale online, I really can't make up my mind what to choose...

So...I'm think about getting one of the plant pack from AquariumGarden.
They have a 48 Plant Assortment for 30-55 gallon, and they have a 48 Low Light Assorment too, but the problem is they did say what specifically plants will be in the package, nor the size of the plants, it just said,

"The plants in all assortments contain a beautiful variety of bunch plants, some swords, cryptocorynes, anubias, etc.

Generally, the plants we package are based on a day to day availability, but If you want to include a plant or two of your choice - please e-mail us after placing the order and we will see what we can do to accomodate your wish."

Has anybody bought this plant assorment from AquariumGarden?
If yes, what plants did they pack?

Gozer_1
Never ordered a pack or from AquariumGardens. Pretty much all plant sites offer a similar deal. has a great plant list. It will guide you through what plants are asiest for your setup. I spent hours searching the list and reading till I came to my choices. In the end I'd recommend picking your own plants. There is a great Aquascaping design tool available. I don't remember the site though. There is a post somewhere in the Fishlore Plants forum. I'll look for it.

ayen
Thank you for providing the website for me, Gozer~
The guide is really helpful, I'm studying it now lol

Gozer_1
Yeah, it helped me alot. Heres the site for the interactive design tool.

You can pick plants and place them and see how they will look in your tank. Have some fun switching between the plant list and the design tool till you have a general idea of what you want. Worked wonders for me. Good Luck. Be sure to tell us all what you decide.

ayen
Gozer, can you tell me what's the difference between the plant come potted and not potted?
Why plants that come potted is more expensive?

Gozer_1
Gozer, can you tell me what's the difference between the plant come potted and not potted?
Why plants that come potted is more expensive?

Some come potted some come bare root and some come as cuttings. Usually potted plants are grown hydroponically emersed or out of the water. In some cases this helps your plants thrive better. In some cases it's the only way to really do it. In some cases they just slap the roots in some rock wool and a pot and send it to you as a "potted" plant. Mostly it depends on the plant. Some plants can't be sent in pots like Vals because of fine root structure. I'd probably go with potted if given a chance. Just know that you'll be picking rock wool out of your new plants before planting them. I didn't get enough out of my plants and the algae started up VERY quickly in my tank. The rock wool is loaded with nutrients.

lyndatu
Cabomba!

Angelfish can lay their eggs there. They can also live with moderate lighting.

Jimold
read this post. It's too long to write again, but it's about a book I found that might help you out a lot!

ayen
Thank you for the book recommendation, I just checked online, and the local book stores don't have it in stock...I have to order it...and it said that it would take up to 6 weeks

ayen
Hey Jim, I just viewed your gallery, and I saw your Angels, they are so cute!! How big are they?

Jimold
Hey Jim, I just viewed your gallery, and I saw your Angels, they are so cute!! How big are they?

The golden ghost (the male) is about 6 inches long, and fully stretched out almost 10 inches tall! His pectoral fins alone are over 6 inches long. His body (without the fins) is about 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter. The female, the black one, is about the same size, but doesn't have the long fins like the male. What's really frightning is they're not fully grown yet. I expect both to grow at least an inch longer, and the male to get possible as much as a foot tall!

fordtrannyman
There are many plants for sale online, I really can't make up my mind what to choose...

Check this out..........

Jimold
Check this out..........

wow! this guy has quite the variety... I'll have to read it more closley later after work.

ayen
Thanks for the link, Fordtrannyman~!

Isabella
I'm going to set up a 55 gallon Freshwater Angelfish tank, I want it to be moderate-heavily planted, and the lighting is gonna be moderate, not intense.

What would you suggest to plant in there and how many of each species?

Please suggest~

I didn't read the whole thread, so just to answer your original question:

If your light will be medium/moderate (or even low/medium), and if you'll have nutrient-rich substrate (such as Eco-Complete or Fluorite for example), then youn can easily use all of the plants I have in my 75 gallon tank. Here is the list of my plants:

If you won't have nutrient-rich substrate, there are still some rooting plants that should survivie in plain gravel, most notably Water Sprite. Amazon Swords may survive too, but they really should be planted in nutrient-rich substrate. Hornwort shouldn't be a problem either. As for all the plants that are attached to decor/driftwood, such as Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, etc., they should all do well under your lighting.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Top Bottom