What Plants Would Grow Comfortably In A 7500k Light? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Uiopfdsa8, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Uiopfdsa8New MemberMember

Hello. i am planning to get either this tank,   or this   tabk, I want to know what plants would grow comfortably in 6500/7500k light, low light, medium light, or high light, because I want to start getting into live plants for my new aquarium as well. Thank you so much!

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Most low and some medium light plants will grow with a K rating anywhere from 5000-8000 with 6500 being the optimum as far as I know. Also depending on how deep your tank is and plant type and substrate... some plants are column feeders and some are root feeders root feeders should have a couple root tabs at their base where u plant them and a good beginner all in one easy to use fertilizer is Thrive. Good Luck!!

3. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Kelvin doesn’t matter much because it’s not a great way of measuring the spectrum of the light. What matters more is PAR, which is how much of the light plants can use.

The flex will be about low-medium light, the flora will be medium-high

4. EvanGValued MemberMember

I'm hesitant to say much since I only have a low light tank with no CO2, but I know a little about light through photography. Kelvin is color temperature (how blue, white, or yellow the light appears to be) and in itself probably not a big factor in plant growth. The quantity of light that reaches the plants is what is most important. As @-Mak- said, PAR is what you want to know, but lumens might be a decent alternative and that spec is listed for both products:
    Code:
     Flex 15 gal - 11 watt - 2450 lm - 7500K - 15" tall - No CO2       - 223 lm/watt
    Flora 15 gal - 15 watt - 1000 lm - 7500K - 15" tall - CO2 included -  67 lm/watt

According to the specs, the Flex has a light that is over 3 times as efficient. Maybe the more experienced people here can weigh in on if the Flex specs are realistic.

Light is only one ingredient needed for plants to grow, so adding a ton of light without corresponding amounts of CO2 and nutrients just means that lighting won't be your limiting factor. In other words, if the Flex really has that much more light, you may not see the benefit of it without additional CO2.

5. FahnFishlore VIPMember

As previously mentioned, it is more about output than color temperature. Technically, red/violet light is the best spectrum for plants! A lot of commercial growers use red lighting.

6000K to 8000K just so happens to be the most ideal range for plants to grow within the visible spectrum, which is an exceedingly narrow band of light observable by the human eye.