What plants to buy...

vhplac

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to set up a 10 gal. planted freshwater tank.
BUT!!!!
I am not sure about the type of plants to put in there!
The theme is "Asian". Already got a 6inch Buddha, shiny black stones and some bamboo sticks ready. The gravel is black.
Since I am fairly new to this hobby, I need some beginner plants. Something that is easy to care for!
Any recommendations would be of great help!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind of lighting do you have?

-Lisa

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, Java fern is a very easy plant to keep, but it should be attached to driftwood or a rock. Also Elodea (Egeria densa), is one of the easiest plants to keep as well. Both of these plants are good for beginners and would do well in a low-light set up.

vhplac

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kunsthure said:
What kind of lighting do you have?

-Lisa
Nothing yet! I did not want to go out and buy the lightning without knowing what I will need it for!
As a newbie I would like to take baby steps. Hoping to find something that wont need extra special care and hopefully goes with the asian design I have in mind.

ps: I am german... are you aware about the meaning of your name translated into english? hehee

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will need to have the light set up before you put in any plants. You will need to choose your light based on how much maintenance you want to be doing. A set up with low intensity lighting will require less maintenance but you will be restricted in your plant choices to low light plants. A high intensity light set up will give you much more freedom with your plant choices but you will need to set up a co2 system & dose fertilizers.

Once you have the light, you can choose plants but for now it would be wise to decide how much work you want the tank to be & decide what you really want to achieve. Let us know that & we can help you with light recommendations & then with the plant choices.

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once you have proper lighting, I would recommend Star Grass, which looks like bamboo; some Rotala magenta (like cherry trees); and you need foreground plant, maybe Marsilea

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads