What plants should I get?

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 37 gallon aquarium with 3 goldfish and I want some plant ideas. (I know it's a small aquarium but I'm unable to upgrade.) I would prefer to have low light plants that do not need co2 or any fertilizer, but I do have a pretty high nitrate so maybe I could get by with some plants that like fertilizer. If necessary I could use the light that came in the kit my aquarium is a topfin, but my goldfish don't like it very much when I turn on the lights. I've heard of some plants that are supposed to quickly spread across the aquarium like Vallisneria. Would that work? Also should I get driftwood, if so any type suggestions? I've also heard that goldfish like bubblers should I add one? I have one in the tank but I haven't gotten to getting a tube for it yet. Thanks in advance for the help I'll attach a picture of the tank for ideas.

Attachments

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish are known to be pretty rough with plants, so you'll want to get plants that withstand them. This video by Aquarium Co-op basically covers every plant I would have recommended, so you can watch it and get a better explanation on each plant than what I could give.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Deku-Cory said:
Goldfish are known to be pretty rough with plants, so you'll want to get plants that withstand them. This video by Aquarium Co-op basically covers every plant I would have recommended, so you can watch it and get a better explanation on each plant than what I could give.
Thanks, that was a really good video

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dennis57 said:
Amazon sword, Java moss, moss balls, java fern, Anubias, Crypts,
I know a bit about the other plants but I'm not super farmiliar with crypts, What kind of would you do?

StarGirl15 said:
I see a big sword in the left corner.
Do swords need lighting other than the brightness of the room? Sound good if it doesn't need anything special.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah they do. I think most plants are going to need more light.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
StarGirl15 said:
Yeah they do. I think most plants are going to need more light.
Is the normal light that came with the tank good enough? It doesn't need fertilizer because of the amount of waste goldfish make, right?

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mermish said:
I know a bit about the other plants but I'm not super farmiliar with crypts, What kind of would you do?
cryptocoryne wendtii, cryptocoryne spiralis and Cryptocoryne undulata

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I'd go with a queen melon sword; and/or rossette sword both of these are smaller than some of the other swords but nice looking plants
I'd also go with a couple of anubia coffee and a anubias afzeliI
-
Is your tank near a window - incident sunlight is actually quite strong and sufficient for many plants.

If you get sword plants you want root tabs; for other plants a bit of fertilizer is helpful because it contains micro nutrients (iron, magnesium, ...) which fish waste might lack.

Mermish said:
Is the normal light that came with the tank good enough? It doesn't need fertilizer because of the amount of waste goldfish make, right?

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A very good cheap led light is the Vivagrow 24/7 I use these along side my Fluvals 3.0. The Vivagrow is a very good low to med light. With any plants you get I would pick up a bottle of Nilocg Thrive C, Amazon sells it. Its a great all in 1 fert

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
jake37 said:
I'd go with a queen melon sword; and/or rossette sword both of these are smaller than some of the other swords but nice looking plants
I'd also go with a couple of anubia coffee and a anubias afzeliI
-
Is your tank near a window - incident sunlight is actually quite strong and sufficient for many plants.

If you get sword plants you want root tabs; for other plants a bit of fertilizer is helpful because it contains micro nutrients (iron, magnesium, ...) which fish waste might lack.
I don't think it would get enough light so I'm putting the lights on today to see how they act. I would prefer not to use fertilizer do you think it's completely necessary.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It would depend on what plants you end up getting honestly.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Could I use flourish glue to secure the plants?

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Also do you have experience with the banana plant? Could that work?

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mermish said:
Could I use flourish glue to secure the plants?
Yes that is what it is made for. The stuff has to be dry though, just like super glue.
Mermish said:
Also do you have experience with the banana plant? Could that work?
Nope no experience with banana plant.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I've never been successful with banana plants others say they are impossible to not grow.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Should I do
1 crinum calamitratum
1 Java fern philppine mini
1 cryptocoryne spirals
4 Homalomena sp. Sekadau south
1-2 Moss balls
Are these good plant choices? Would that be enough plants? I Could also add some hornwort, anaciris, and Java Moss from another tank.

OP
Mermish

Mermish

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think the crinum calamitratum might be too sensitive so I think I might replace it with vallisneria it sounds like it would do okay from this article.

New Threads