What Plants Should I Get?

1. FishTankJake Initiate Member

I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront tank with the standard lighting system it comes with. I have a few low light plants that are struggling. I am thinking of ordering the Finnex Ray 2 LED lighting system, I just haven't been able to cough up the money to do so. If I do get this light, what plants would you recommend for my tank? Would it be considered low, medium, or high light? Also do people have good experiences with this light fixture? Thanks.

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So funny that you posted this! Just an hour ago I added the exact same light to my amazon cart. Not that I can afford it at the moment, I just didn't want to forget about it. I want the 36" one for my 50 gallon (I'm currently working on).

All the reviews speak very highly of it and it seems to posses the right Kelvin for plant growth. There was even a mention PAR, which is really the most accurate way of figuring out the appropriateness of a light for a planted aquarium.

It really depends on the depth of your aquarium. Mine is 21 inches, so I'm worried it would only be appropriate for moderate to low light plants. It may be fine for high light plants too, but I just don't want to be quoted on that if it's not correct. :)

I'm interested to see how others respond!

3. FishTankJake Initiate Member

Thanks for the reply I just need to know what types of plants would be suitable.

4. FishTankJake Initiate Member

Does anyone have any input?

5. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It pretty much depends on the depth of the tank. Even in my 20" inch 50, though, the Finnex Ray2 (36") is delivering 60 PAR to the ground level plants, which in my opinion, passes just into the high light range. Personally, I like having a light that is stronger than the required plants so I have mostly moderate light plants in my tank.

6. FishTankJake Initiate Member

Thank you for another reply, I think I'll use the same strategy and go with medium light requirement plants. Do you think it will be enough light to grow my favorite plant species Rotala Indica?

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I think it will grow fairly well with your light. :)

8. FishTankJake Initiate Member

Thank you that is great news.