What Plants Should I Get For A 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank?

Gavin Chalmers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 55 gallon tank with fish in it but I’m getting rid of them and I’m going to get 4-6 angelfish. I want to plant it but don’t know what plants to get. I’m not going to do co2 and I don’t want to use root taps but I can if I have to. I have a low light but the tank is right in front of a window so it gets sunlight. I really want banana plants and would like to get either amazon sword or aponogenton boivinianus. So I was wondering what I should get and how many plants to get. I’ve never had any real plants in an aquarium so I’m looking for really easy plants. I’m also open to suggestions on other plants. Thanks.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Jungle Vals would work with the height for a fact, and amazon sword too.
I am not experienced with plants, but many other members are!

Dreypa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My angels love my Amazon and Indian Flame swords as well as the Anubias. Mine are a bit rough on stem plants / anything fragile but thats a mostly fish by fish basis. Amazon swords & Anubias are really low maintenance and great first plants to experiment with. Usually pretty affordable too. I would suggest root tabs on occasion for swords as they are heavy root feeders but can get away without them if your insistent on a no-fert approach. Banana plants can create water lily's which produce great shade on the bottom of the tank if your looking for something along those lines.

Gavin Chalmers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My angels love my Amazon and Indian Flame swords as well as the Anubias. Mine are a bit rough on stem plants / anything fragile but thats a mostly fish by fish basis. Amazon swords & Anubias are really low maintenance and great first plants to experiment with. Usually pretty affordable too. I would suggest root tabs on occasion for swords as they are heavy root feeders but can get away without them if your insistent on a no-fert approach. Banana plants can create water lily's which produce great shade on the bottom of the tank if your looking for something along those lines.
I do have old aquarium fertilizer mixed with my gravel. What kind of Anubias would be good to get? I’m wanting to get all my plants off of aquariumcoop.com if possible or if anybody knows of a better place to order plants from.

Last edited:

Dreypa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Almost any kind of anubias you find good looking would work. All the common ones have very similar needs and growth patterns. I personally like anubias nangi and nana. Their is quite a few varities however. I've only ever ordered liquid fert from coop so I cannot attest to there anubias.

Gavin Chalmers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Almost any kind of anubias you find good looking would work. All the common ones have very similar needs and growth patterns. I personally like anubias nangi and nana. Their is quite a few varities however. I've only ever ordered liquid fert from coop so I cannot attest to there anubias.
Ok thanks I’ll try to find some that I like.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom