What Plants Should I Get For A 55 Gallon Angelfish Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Gavin Chalmers, Apr 11, 2018.

1. G

Gavin Chalmers Valued Member Member

I have a 55 gallon tank with fish in it but I’m getting rid of them and I’m going to get 4-6 angelfish. I want to plant it but don’t know what plants to get. I’m not going to do co2 and I don’t want to use root taps but I can if I have to. I have a low light but the tank is right in front of a window so it gets sunlight. I really want banana plants and would like to get either amazon sword or aponogenton boivinianus. So I was wondering what I should get and how many plants to get. I’ve never had any real plants in an aquarium so I’m looking for really easy plants. I’m also open to suggestions on other plants. Thanks.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Jungle Vals would work with the height for a fact, and amazon sword too.
    I am not experienced with plants, but many other members are!

3. Dreypa

Dreypa Valued Member Member

My angels love my Amazon and Indian Flame swords as well as the Anubias. Mine are a bit rough on stem plants / anything fragile but thats a mostly fish by fish basis. Amazon swords & Anubias are really low maintenance and great first plants to experiment with. Usually pretty affordable too. I would suggest root tabs on occasion for swords as they are heavy root feeders but can get away without them if your insistent on a no-fert approach. Banana plants can create water lily's which produce great shade on the bottom of the tank if your looking for something along those lines.

4. OP
    OP
    G

I do have old aquarium fertilizer mixed with my gravel. What kind of Anubias would be good to get? I’m wanting to get all my plants off of aquariumcoop.com if possible or if anybody knows of a better place to order plants from.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  5. Dreypa

Dreypa Valued Member Member

Almost any kind of anubias you find good looking would work. All the common ones have very similar needs and growth patterns. I personally like anubias nangi and nana. Their is quite a few varities however. I've only ever ordered liquid fert from coop so I cannot attest to there anubias.

6. OP
    OP
    G

Ok thanks I’ll try to find some that I like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice