What Plants Should I Choose?

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys,

I just recently planted my very first planted tank in some Fluval stratum. I originally started with some driftwood that I bought separately however I then found a nice piece of Anubias growing on some driftwood and decided to add that as well.

Now I’m thinking of maybe rearranging things, placing some rocks in there instead of one of the pieces of driftwood, and adding some more plants. Currently I’ve got some Java fern, some Anubias as well as a tissue culture of S. Repens. What else do you guys think would go with this? Any aquascaping suggestions? I’m also hoping to include my Betta fish as well so I’d love some suggestions on plants they like too.

Pictures included below (it is very basic - hoping to spruce it up a bit!) thanks!

Attachments

BakedBrotatoes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can glue some moss on your rock.

My favorite is cabomba aquatica for background and water sprites. Lobelia cardinalis for mids or maybe some variety of ludwigia.
I don't think they need high light so it's not too high maintenance.

I have a brazilian pennyworth located at the corner of my tank and it looks really nice. Might look good somewhere in the back for yours.

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Frogbit, it's a floating plant with long roots, your Betta would love it. It grows at a managable rate as well.
That sounds awesome! I’ve actually also been looking into Duckweed, I believe it’s an Australian native plant (I live there) but it’s also a floating plant and seems quite similar. I’m wondering if anyone has heard of it or thinks it’s a good idea?

You can glue some moss on your rock.

My favorite is cabomba aquatica for background and water sprites. Lobelia cardinalis for mids or maybe some variety of ludwigia.
I don't think they need high light so it's not too high maintenance.

I have a brazilian pennyworth located at the corner of my tank and it looks really nice. Might look good somewhere in the back for yours.
These are all some good ideas. I actually didn’t even consider adding moss to the rocks. Are moss types available as a tissue culture?

I’ll keep a look out! Thanks!

BakedBrotatoes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sounds awesome! I’ve actually also been looking into Duckweed, I believe it’s an Australian native plant (I live there) but it’s also a floating plant and seems quite similar. I’m wondering if anyone has heard of it or thinks it’s a good idea?

These are all some good ideas. I actually didn’t even consider adding moss to the rocks. Are moss types available as a tissue culture?

I’ll keep a look out! Thanks!

I've only seen riccia fluitans in a tissue culture so I'm not sure about the other moss. Popular ones are java moss, christmas moss, and weeping moss. You can glue them on rocks or driftwoods and they look natural.

Look up hygrophilla they're pretty nice background plants.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Duckweed can get out of control really fast, so you'll have to maintain it so your other plants get some light.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Frogbit is definitely a good floating plant to have. If your java fern in the back left is buried i would remove it from the substrate and tie it to the driftwood as well. What size is your tank? . You could even try a stem plant like bacopa for your betta to rest on. They will usually find their spots. Lastly they have betta hammocks that is a fake leaf that you can suction cup to the side of the glass for them to rest on . I've had them and my betts enjoyed them i used to put it about 1.5" below the water line. Good luck!! Nice looking tank!

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've only seen riccia fluitans in a tissue culture so I'm not sure about the other moss. Popular ones are java moss, christmas moss, and weeping moss. You can glue them on rocks or driftwoods and they look natural.

Look up hygrophilla they're pretty nice background plants.
Great idea! Your advice actually convinced me on getting some Hygrophilia Polysperma (almost one of the only kinds I can get here in Australia!) so thanks so much for your help!

With the gluing, do you buy the aquarium glue such as the Seachem glue, or can you use thread? I’ve seen brown thread being used before!
Thanks!

Duckweed can get out of control really fast, so you'll have to maintain it so your other plants get some light.
Thanks for the advice, probably best to avoid it then!

Frogbit is definitely a good floating plant to have. If your java fern in the back left is buried i would remove it from the substrate and tie it to the driftwood as well. What size is your tank? . You could even try a stem plant like bacopa for your betta to rest on. They will usually find their spots. Lastly they have betta hammocks that is a fake leaf that you can suction cup to the side of the glass for them to rest on . I've had them and my betts enjoyed them i used to put it about 1.5" below the water line. Good luck!! Nice looking tank!
I’m definitely going to be removing the Java fern as soon as I move the other piece of driftwood. I just didn’t want it floating around as I thought that it might be better getting the nutrients from the Fluval stratum and I’ve had a major problem with the delivery of my fertiliser
My tank is only five gallons so pretty tiny. I just want to beef it up a bit more to add some variety and also to compete with the apparently never ending algae!
I’ve just been researching the frogbit though and it says somewhere that it’s a pond plant and not recommended for tanks with fish in it, because it will grow too fast and deplete the oxygen? Is this true? If so, and I do decide to get it, how much should I be pruning? Also how long do the roots tend to get? I don’t want it taking over the whole tank!

Thanks again for your help!

frostmystique

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe something tall like vals or anacharis? Very nice looking tank BTW.
Thank you very much! The actual tank is just a simple Fluval Spec V (so five gallons). However I am working really hard to make it look nice and pretty.

This plant talk has actually got me thinking a lot about what fertiliser to use. Basically I ordered a bottle of Thrive and due to a couple of delivery issues I am not going to be able to start using it in my tank for at least another month and a half. Currently the plants are planted in fluval stratum and that's about it (with a couple of random snails in there).

Should I be buying some kind of fertiliser for this period of time for them, especially if I am thinking about adding all of these extra plants? It is only quite a small five gallon tank however I am noticing some black/dark patches on the java fern. Specifically I was thinking of purchasing the Seachem plant fundamentals pack which comes with flourish comprehensive, flourish excel and iron, but I've heard I need to dose potassium as well. I was speaking with one of the representatives of Thrive and even he only recommended just under one pump of Thrive per week.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

BakedBrotatoes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great idea! Your advice actually convinced me on getting some Hygrophilia Polysperma (almost one of the only kinds I can get here in Australia!) so thanks so much for your help!

With the gluing, do you buy the aquarium glue such as the Seachem glue, or can you use thread? I’ve seen brown thread being used before!
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, probably best to avoid it then!

I’m definitely going to be removing the Java fern as soon as I move the other piece of driftwood. I just didn’t want it floating around as I thought that it might be better getting the nutrients from the Fluval stratum and I’ve had a major problem with the delivery of my fertiliser
My tank is only five gallons so pretty tiny. I just want to beef it up a bit more to add some variety and also to compete with the apparently never ending algae!
I’ve just been researching the frogbit though and it says somewhere that it’s a pond plant and not recommended for tanks with fish in it, because it will grow too fast and deplete the oxygen? Is this true? If so, and I do decide to get it, how much should I be pruning? Also how long do the roots tend to get? I don’t want it taking over the whole tank!

Thanks again for your help!
Sorry I haven't been on. I used the Seachem glue on mine and it holds up really well, I see no effects on any of my fishes so I think it's a good option. Fishing lines are also a good option, you can tie them to the rock but it might be meticulous work haha. You can also try a piece of loofah to use as a net. You can tie it around it to keep it from floating, never tried it though so I don't know much about it.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually really like the DW and simple scape, I think the gradient used really adds some interest. But some pretty rocks could have the same effect. Also the staurogyne is looking good As much as I know, Stratum should have nice nutrients for the staurogyne roots. That's the important part I think for that plant. I'm sure a low fertilizer wouldn't hurt though! Sorry i'm still learning about ferts and have no experience.

Someone mentioned crypts, crypts are awesome. They really appreciate good nutrient in the substrate. My crypt wendtii red is to the surface in my 5.5g and provides a nice purple/dark red splash of color. Wendtii is a med sized crypt, and multiples pretty easily by runner daughter plants. So I might plant one in behind the DW on the left, there is also more substrate there for the roots.
20190825_152928.jpg

My 5.5g is very low light, so my crypt wendtii doesn't get as red. But in other tanks, it is more purple than red.

I like to plant red or coloured plants next to green plants and play with texture.
Easier red stem plants to use in smaller tanks would be reneikii sp.mini or ludwigia sp.mini. Hygro rosenervig has white leaf veins and pink leaves in higher light or at the tips. This is where I think a fert dose could really help, but a certain amount of nutrient from the Stratum also dissolves in the water, so I personally watch for deficiencies.

It's possible to scape with easier plants and still have a variety of leaf texture and diversity. Hygro angustifolia for ex has nice bright green long narrow flowy leaves that contrast nicely against red or pink round leaved stem plants.

This is my hygro angustifolia in my 120g
20190825_144124.jpg

It's a much bigger tank, but I recommend the plant because it can be trimmed and kept at any height. Love that about hygros! I even have a weird diatom issue and it still looks good.

Or for another ex, hygro polysperma has bright green round leaves like rosenervig and looks good against plants like crypt wendtii red. Same contrast appreal applies to one of my favorite stem plants- stargrass.
20190825_143839.jpg

Actually which plants are available to you? Maybe we could help select some that would do well in your setup and contrast nicely.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom