What Plants Should I Buy? 20 Gallon Tall, SeaChem Flourish, Sand Substrate, low to medium light

INeedHelpLol

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kinda digging for a dense growth; aiming to get some apistos in future.
Any low tech, low to medium light low ferts sand substrate plants would be appreciated, as well as a layout!
Ill provide a picture.
Please excuse the diatoms!

Attachments

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would get several Java Ferns to plant on the rock (the rhizome and roots should never be buried). They do great in any light and will really fill out the tank.

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like Anubias and if you want quick dense growth, add floating plants (especially Frogbit which can put roots down to the substrate!) though you will need to protect any floaters from the flow caused by your filter- you could make a surround for them out of airline tubing.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tank looks amazing. I am having issues with my sand substrate and getting a good plant growth. I am using nilocg salts and I am tweaking the amount in each dosage. If I were you I'd get som good fertilizer. Other than that I would take some of the ideas others posted.
p.s. I like the rock. I know you read apistogramma like wood but I like the look of your tank

OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, thanks! I actually do have some fertilizer - SeaChem Flourish. Wanted some Easy Green but was buying a few other things and budget did't allow it. Yes. I know. ::)
I'm probably going to get some
1. Java fern
2. Anubias
3. Cryptocoryne (wendtii, parva, lucens(?))
4. Amazon sword (any out there that don't get larger than like 16 in.?)
5. Some Java moss
6. Coconut huts for the java moss, or I will let 'em grow in a huge tangle on the substrate.
Looking at aquarium co-op, might grab me some Dragon Ohko stones and some crypts and anubias-- oh! The anubias would look great in the crevices of the rock!
I may plant the floaters that I currently have (hornwort, wisteria) to get some tall growth going on. Then Imma plant the crypts in a close but kinda separated bunch (to get the bushy look going) and finally the anubias on the wood/rock/whatever I choose.
Finally(×2) I may get some leave litter, pods, etc for the substrate and tannins.
:)

Annahhayy

Reaction score
INeedHelpLol said:
Kinda digging for a dense growth; aiming to get some apistos in future.
Any low tech, low to medium light low ferts sand substrate plants would be appreciated, as well as a layout!
Ill provide a picture.
Please excuse the diatoms!
I personally like hornwort. Very low maintenance and grows like crazy. It’s a pain in the neck when you first put it in your tank because it sheds so bad but it literally eats nitrates like nobody’s business. I have it floating because it seems to not shed as bad as when you have it planted. My fish loves to chill in it at the surface too. It’s a little ugly but so beneficial.

OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually have some hornwort-- one planted and the other floating. Shed like mad when I put in! Its a cool plant, though.

Annahhayy

Reaction score
INeedHelpLol said:
I actually have some hornwort-- one planted and the other floating. Shed like mad when I put in! Its a cool plant, though.
Lol I see that now my bad

Lynn Klaus

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would add some moss at the corner growth of the rock and the sand. Promote growth all around and you can control it

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aponogeton but it can grow looooong. It flowers though with a really long floating stem - we've found we can use that to hang longer leaves over to create an arch. There are shorter types too. If you're having a few crypts and swords get some root tabs to get nutrients down in the substrate where the roots are.
20191215_155346.jpg

OP
I

INeedHelpLol

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
YellowGuppy said:
Have you considered vallisneria? If densely planted is what you're looking for, val seems like a good way to get it!
Does it fare well in lower lighting?

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
INeedHelpLol said:
Does it fare well in lower lighting?
OK - not much use for you for buying plants... but great as a resource for researching them...
Tropical Aquarium / Fish Tank Plants for Sale, CO2 Sets, Fertilisers, and more Aqua Essentials

New Threads