What Plants Should I Add to this Scape?

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!

I recently hacked through my jungle of java moss and ludwigia, and removed over half of the vegetation in my aquarium to put in other places. I'm looking for more color now - purples, yellows, new shades of red... what should I add? I'm pretty sure my lighting is on the higher end of moderate. I dose 20 drops daily of Flourish, and (lately) have been doing 4x weekly 10-20% water changes. Temp is 80°. Stocked with guppies, snails, cories, and a little pleco. A pair of pea puffers coming soon. (experimental community tank, but don't worry! If they don't get along with everyone else, I already have a backup tank set up)

20200302_011638.jpg
20200302_011638.jpg
20200302_012754.jpg
20200302_012818.jpg
20200302_012844.jpg

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
A nice stand of anarcharis would offer some different texture while not standing out either.

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Water Sprite, jungle vals, hornwort , water wisteria. any bushy plants should be nice .
I actually started with a bunch of hornwort when I set up this tank! It was very pretty (although the shedding was really annoying, the needles always clogged my siphon) I added a male pearl gouramI and he ripped it all up because he wanted it to be floating lol. He's not in there anymore, so I guess I could try again!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can always try java moss or guppy grass ! Both float at the top and they don't shed at all I believe. Nice hideouts for smaller fish

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
You can always try java moss or guppy grass ! Both float at the top and they don't shed at all I believe. Nice hideouts for smaller fish
Most of the fluffy green moss in the tank is java moss! Unfortunately I can't let it float because the canister filter gobbles it up! I haven't tried guppy grass though, could it be used as a carpet?

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lovely looking tank! :)
some beautifully colored and textured plants I keep, so would reccommend! Any of these would look gorgeous in your tank too

Echinodorus reni
Cryptocoryne albida
Alternanthera reineckii
Nypmhaea Zenkeri
Bolbitis heudelotii

You didn't mention if you were using root tabs? I use seachem flourish comprehensive, ApI leaf zone and Osmocote in gel caps for roots. Temp 79, No co2 and basic red blue and white led lights. These plants are doing amazingly and conditions are pretty similar to yours :)

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice! For the third time in a week I'm suggesting Cryptocoryne WendtiI :) A smaller bushy sword plant with nice bronze coloured leaves that might fit in well. On the other hand less is often more - it looks pretty good as it is!

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Falena said:
some beautifully colored and textured plants I keep, so would reccommend! They'd look gorgeous in your tank too

Echinodorus reni
Cryptocoryne albida
Alternanthera reineckii
Nypmhaea Zenkeri
Bolbitis heudelotii

You didn't mention if you were using root tabs? I use seachem flourish comprehensive, ApI leaf zone and Osmocote in gel caps for roots. Temp 79, No co2 and basic red blue and white led lights. These plants are doing amazingly and conditions are pretty similar to yours :)
Falena said:
some beautifully colored and textured plants I keep, so would reccommend! Any of these would look gorgeous in your tank too

Echinodorus reni
Cryptocoryne albida
Alternanthera reineckii
Nypmhaea Zenkeri
Bolbitis heudelotii

I actually have never tried root tabs! My substrate is a mix of fluorite black and caribsea eco-complete, capped with plain aquarium gravel (fluorite kept wanting to float) and a layer of ornamental sand. I've actually been trying to figure out why a few stems of my minI ludwigia are turning yellow lately, maybe they do need root tabs. I was thinking of buying a few bottles of Seachem's other additives, but I really am not sure which elements I'm missing. I did finally get the green spot algae under control a few weeks ago, so I should at least be good on phosphates!

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
KinderScout said:
Nice! For the third time in a week I'm suggesting Cryptocoryne WendtiI :) A smaller bushy sword plant with nice bronze coloured leaves that might fit in well. On the other hand less is often more - it looks pretty good as it is!
I've seen a few gorgeous crypts around my area, but I always get scared off because I heard they're extremely prone to melting. Is there any way to prevent that?

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alexandria1 said:
I actually have never tried root tabs! My substrate is a mix of fluorite black and caribsea eco-complete, capped with plain aquarium gravel (fluorite kept wanting to float) and a layer of ornamental sand. I've actually been trying to figure out why a few stems of my minI ludwigia are turning yellow lately, maybe they do need root tabs. I was thinking of buying a few bottles of Seachem's other additives, but I really am not sure which elements I'm missing. I did finally get the green spot algae under control a few weeks ago, so I should at least be good on phosphates!
Oh! You're using grow substrate :) how long has it been in there for? Because after some time, the nutrients begin to deplete and then you can begin using root tabs. Moreso for heavier root feeders like swords and crypts. You may have a potassium or iron deficiency, potassium usually for yellowing leaves. These are the only 2 elements in ApI leaf zone. So it does work well with the flourish and is cheaper than buying seachem's trace elements separately :)

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Falena said:
Oh! You're using grow substrate :) how long has it been in there for? Because after some time, the nutrients begin to deplete and then you can begin using root tabs. Moreso for heavier root feeders like swords and crypts. You may have a potassium or iron deficiency, potassium usually for yellowing leaves. These are the only 2 elements in ApI leaf zone. So it does work well with the flourish and is cheaper than buying seachem's trace elements separately :)
Well, then I'll start by trying API leaf zone :) The substrate has been in there since I started the tank last August. I try not to mess with it too much since I did cap it with fine sand. I don't want that working down into the deeper layers and binding things up. Will adding iron harm the snails? Or do they not care?

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alexandria1 said:
Well, then I'll start by trying API leaf zone :) The substrate has been in there since I started the tank last August. I try not to mess with it too much since I did cap it with fine sand. I don't want that working down into the deeper layers and binding things up. Will adding iron harm the snails? Or do they not care?
Sounds like a plan! I too started with just flourish and had a few problems with pale greenery and pinholes in leaves of stem plants. Adding the leaf zone fixed that pretty quickly :)
I haven't had any problems using it with snails, but I only have pink and gold ramshorns and they're pretty hardy so I can't speak for others.
Trying to grow a colony for the puffers? ;)
And I understand you not wanting to disturb your substrate. It would be quite frustrating loosing all your sand down holes lol! Maybe just don't opt for the heavy root feeders, though they may be ok if you wanted to give it a go anyway.

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Falena said:
Sounds like a plan! I too started with just flourish and had a few problems with pale greenery and pinholes in leaves of stem plants. Adding the leaf zone fixed that pretty quickly :)
I haven't had any problems using it with snails, but I only have pink and gold ramshorns and they're pretty hardy so I can't speak for others.
Trying to grow a colony for the puffers? ;)
And I understand you not wanting to disturb your substrate. It would be quite frustrating loosing all your sand down holes lol! Maybe just don't opt for the heavy root feeders, though they may be ok if you wanted to give it a go anyway.
Oh, I'm already more than overrun with snails! The colony started to spite me, not because I encouraged it XD But yeah, free live food for the little puffers will be great. I can finally get a small bit of revenge on all these pest snails lol. I do have a smaller colony of blue ramshorns going, I plan to remove the most brightly colored specimens to a safe tank once the pea puffers move in. Then I'll have a reserve, plus I can hopefully start to see some purer blues with a smaller, hand-picked breeding group. I've let them just run wild, so once in awhile I see some little brown ones scooting around on the glass. I'd love to see more of that pale, pearly eggshell blue I started out with. It looks very nice against all the red ludwigia!

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alexandria1 said:
Oh, I'm already more than overrun with snails! The colony started to spite me, not because I encouraged it XD But yeah, free live food for the little puffers will be great. I can finally get a small bit of revenge on all these pest snails lol. I do have a smaller colony of blue ramshorns going, I plan to remove the most brightly colored specimens to a safe tank once the pea puffers move in. Then I'll have a reserve, plus I can hopefully start to see some purer blues with a smaller, hand-picked breeding group. I've let them just run wild, so once in awhile I see some little brown ones scooting around on the glass. I'd love to see more of that pale, pearly eggshell blue I started out with. It looks very nice against all the red ludwigia!
I feel you! Lol same predicament with my pink and golds. They've now somehow produced some greeny looking ones. You start out loving them until they decide to show up in a horde of 100-200 almost full grown invaders out of nowhere! I wish I could borrow a puffer or botia loach for a few nights out of my other tank haha! I've just got a giant betta in there, that's decided he likes to kill them for fun not food so that's a problem lol. The blues are beautiful! You should definitely breed them true again, I should probably do the same

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Falena said:
I feel you! Lol same predicament with my pink and golds. They've now somehow produced some greeny looking ones. You start out loving them until they decide to show up in a horde of 100-200 almost full grown invaders out of nowhere! I wish I could borrow a puffer or botia loach for a few nights out of my other tank haha! I've just got a giant betta in there, that's decided he likes to kill them for fun not food so that's a problem lol. The blues are beautiful! You should definitely breed them true again, I should probably do the same
They do seem to just appear out of the woodwork! But then again, before I trimmed everything down, it was so densely planted that I was lucky if I even saw my pleco more than once a week! I didn't even realize that I had a dragonfly nymph hiding out in there until I had a full grown dragonfly flying around my bedroom! In the middle of December!!

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alexandria1 said:
They do seem to just appear out of the woodwork! But then again, before I trimmed everything down, it was so densely planted that I was lucky if I even saw my pleco more than once a week! I didn't even realize that I had a dragonfly nymph hiding out in there until I had a full grown dragonfly flying around my bedroom! In the middle of December!!
Right? And mine are the same. Massively overdue a good pruning and tbh, I'm slightly concerned about the amount of snails I'm going to find, I'm guessing the loaches will have a big dinner tonight haha!
Woah! A dragonfly!? Thankfully that's one I can't relate to, as beautiful as they are outside, I would probably have freaked out if I had one in my bedroom, they're huge! Bet that was fun trying to get it to leave? Lol

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, it was an adventure, for sure. He must've come in on a batch of plants shipped from a warmer climate and I just didn't notice him. I don't really bother sterilizing my new plants, I just rinse them in warm water and pick snails off by hand. Obviously that hasn't worked out too well for me! But hey, hindsight is 20/20. I'm just glad he seemed to have been content picking off baby guppies while lurking unseen, vs my adult breeding trio.

KinderScout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alexandria1 said:
I've seen a few gorgeous crypts around my area, but I always get scared off because I heard they're extremely prone to melting. Is there any way to prevent that?
Never had that problem though we only have two - once they settle I think they should recover. I believe WendtiI is one of the easier hardy ones - it must be to survive my fingers which are definitely not green! The picture is from about a year ago and it's still going strong - bigger as the plant to the right is gone now. It gives a good representation of the bronze colouring.

crypt[1].jpg

OP
Alexandria1

Alexandria1

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
KinderScout said:
Never had that problem though we only have two - once they settle I think they should recover. I believe WendtiI is one of the easier hardy ones - it must be to survive my fingers which are definitely not green! The picture is from about a year ago and it's still going strong - bigger as the plant to the right is gone now. It gives a good representation of the bronze colouring.

crypt[1].jpg
Wow, it's gorgeous! I'll definitely have to try some of those now.

New Threads