What plants should I add and how to keep them alive

Mermish

PXL_20210905_182059268.jpgThis is my 20 gallon with 6 kuboti rasboras, 5 amano shrimp, and currently 1 honey gourami although I will be getting another soon. I was wondering what plants would go well with them/the aquarium. I'm fine with moving the caves and Driftwood around however you guys think would look best. I am also okay with removing a cave if it's
planted because I don't think it looks great with both. Previously I've tried so plants but they didn't really last so I'm also wondering about ferts, lighting and the like so if it would help. I don't have a very thick gravel bed so it's always hard to get plants to stay. I'm perfectly fine with adding more substrate as well. So basically I'm asking how would you guys scape it and how would you take care of those plants in a shrimp safe way, thanks! Also, should I add some kind of a head cover plant for the honey gouramis? I also like plants with flowers if they're some easy options

Flyfisha

The honey gourami is found under floating plants in the wild and will enjoy having the cover. Frogbit is one of the nicer floating plants.

Guppy grass is a good plant to start with as is Java moss.

Mermish

The honey gourami is found under floating plants in the wild and will enjoy having the cover. Frogbit is one of the nicer floating plants.

Guppy grass is a good plant to start with as is Java moss.
I've had frogbit and java moss and couldn't keep them alive, any tips?

Flyfisha

Frogbit does not like to keep getting its leaves wet on top. Tetras will eat the roots if no other food is available eventually almost killing it. Some nitrates are needed for it to grow perhaps 10 ppm nitrates is enough? It will not grow well in water without any fish poop.

Java moss and guppy grass needs to know which way is up. If you let it roll around in the current turning over and over it dies. Jamming it in one place with a small rock helps.
Any time the water temperature gets over 30 degrees centigrade for a few days in summer Java moss suffers.

I have soft water with a low GH and both grow ok . I am not sure about hard water ?

PennineAcute

When I set up my original guppy/tetra tank, I had java moss, java fern and water wisteria.

The moss I put onto a a few rocks and wrapped cotton around it to keep it in place. It did the trick. I did remove it, because I found it very hard work when trimming. After removing it, I noticed that my nitrates went up, so (for my tank anyway) it did keep the nitrates down.

Java Fern, I superglued to rock. Again, this took without any problems. They are very easy to progogate, so you have a never ending supply.

Water Wisteria - orginally I had it as a floating plant. It did not do very well like this in my tank. So I placed it on a rock and wrapped cotton around it to keep it in place. It grows rapidly and needs a monthly prune.

Mermish

Thanks for the help! Should I look into ferts/CO2/roots/substrate at all for any of those? I have a java Fern and Vals in my goldfish tank and they do great from the poop but I don't think there's as much in this tank

PennineAcute

The plants I used did not need planting and neither ferts or added CO2. and cope very well with low to medium light. It was the main reason I used them, as apparently it is very difficult (though not impossible) to kill them.

Mermish

The plants I used did not need planting and neither ferts or added CO2. and cope very well with low to medium light. It was the main reason I used them, as apparently it is very difficult (though not impossible) to kill them.
Do you just anchor water wisteria down in the gravel?

PennineAcute

At first, I tied it to rocks. Later on, as I became more experienced, I just took a cutting and literally placed it in the gravel. Both ways produced strong and healthy plants.

This is a photo before I gave my plants a good prune

Attachments

• Before good prune.jpg
    Before good prune.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 14

Mermish

At first, I tied it to rocks. Later on, as I became more experienced, I just took a cutting and literally placed it in the gravel. Both ways produced strong and healthy plants.

This is a photo before I gave my plants a good prune
That looks really nice! Any ideas on where I should place the different plants in the tank?

PennineAcute

Water Wisteria (due to its size) is definately a back on the tank plant, although some people do use it to create a carpet effect. Fern is again a back of the tank plant, although can be used in the mid section. The plants at the front of your tank need to be small, otherwise they will block youe viewing.

Mermish

Water Wisteria (due to its size) is definately a back on the tank plant, although some people do use it to create a carpet effect. Fern is again a back of the tank plant, although can be used in the mid section. The plants at the front of your tank need to be small, otherwise they will block youe viewing.
Okay, sounds great! What plants should go in the front? Also, is guppy grass care and placement the same as water wisteria? Thanks !

PennineAcute

Yes. Guppy Grass Care is similar to Water Wisteria, in terms of placement and care. It is also, from what I have read, hard to kill. It is fast growing though and would probably need pruning sooner than Water Wisteria.

From my understanding, the issue with foreground plants is lighting. They need moderate to high. This is why I went with Java Moss, as it only needs low. However, cleaning the tank after pruning was hard work. Having to use a fish net to capture all the pieces floating on top of the water. For this reason, I have kept away from foreground plants and do not know much about them.

Flyfisha

Guppy grass is a bit of a messy plant and needs to be pulled out once every 3 or 4 months to stop it taking over a tank ( like many plants).
As I see your tank in post #1 Mermish you will enjoy having a bit of greenery just as much as the fish.?
image.jpg

Mermish

Guppy grass is a bit of a messy plant and needs to be pulled out once every 3 or 4 months to stop it taking over a tank ( like many plants).
As I see your tank in post #1 Mermish you will enjoy having a bit of greenery just as much as the fish.?
image.jpg
I really miss the plants that's for sure! I used to have hornwort but I can't really remember what happened to it. I liked it better with the plants

IMG_20200125_134155.jpg
If you guys don't mind, I could also use some help knowing what to put in my Betta tank. 5 gallon 1 Betta 1 nerite. It's not too acidic, (around 7 last time I checked) but I want to start using ial more often. Tap is around 7.5 I think. She loves the leaf she has now. I can't seem to keep the plants alive. I have an Anubis in there and it's doing fine but even anacharis and hornwort die in there. Maybe it's lack of nutrients? I have a banana plant that isn't doing well in there now as well.
PXL_20210906_031932312.jpg

Mermish

I justplanted my java fern, wisteria, and Lily here it is:
Thanks for the help! I plan on getting frog bit when I can find some as well. Do I need ferts or anything at all or will it all be good? Also, should I bury the bulb? Thanks again!
20210916_165619.jpg

Flyfisha

Hey Mermish,
Somewhere out there on the internet is one of by first posts. Like you I had made a simple mistake. A gentleman called “navigator black ” helped me sort it out. Java fern grows on things with most of its roots flowing freely in water. Eventually a large rhizome grows horizontally. All of the rhizome must be out of the substrate or the thing will rot. A simple mistake but all of those Java fern need to be attached to rock, wood, or ornaments. Super glue or thread is used to hold it temporarily . One of many links on the subject.
Securing java fern? | Aquarium Plants Forum | 502936

Edit .
Yes technically it’s not correct to call the horizontal root a rhizome ,but let’s use the common name for this situation please guys?

Mermish

Hey Mermish,
Somewhere out there on the internet is one of by first posts. Like you I had made a simple mistake. A gentleman called “navigator black ” helped me sort it out. Java fern grows on things with most of its roots flowing freely in water. Eventually a large rhizome grows horizontally. All of the rhizome must be out of the substrate or the thing will rot. A simple mistake but all of those Java fern need to be attached to rock, wood, or ornaments. Super glue or thread is used to hold it temporarily . One of many links on the subject.
Securing java fern? | Aquarium Plants Forum | 502936

Edit .
Yes technically it’s not correct to call the horizontal root a rhizome ,but let’s use the common name for this situation please guys?
I've heard about that not being good for java fern, should I not do it then? My substrate super thin so I thought I could breathe enough but it would be okay but if it's not I'll do something else thanks!
Edit: should Lily be fine I see snails all over it will they hurt it?

Also I haven't seen my shrimp since moving things around and they usually don't spook easy do you think they're just hiding or should I go back in the tank and look around in case I accidentally put a cave on top of them or something

Attachments

• 20210916_201918.jpg
    20210916_201918.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 6

Flyfisha

Often the cuttings sold as java fern plants are not much more than a leaf broken off with a few small roots. With time a rhizome will grow .That horizontal root must be well above the gravel. I have never seen java fern grown successfully long term ON or in gravel. Even if lose plantlets sometimes sit on the substrate after floating around.
I feel you should move the cutting/ plants to give them the best chance of maturing?

It is often said that pest snails only eat dead plant material and algae. Some of the Australian pond snails chew frogbit from what I have seen. I would not worry about the snails on the lily but keep a close eye out for any damage.

The shrimp are most likely hiding?

Mermish

Often the cuttings sold as java fern plants are not much more than a leaf broken off with a few small roots. With time a rhizome will grow .That horizontal root must be well above the gravel. I have never seen java fern grown successfully long term ON or in gravel. Even if lose plantlets sometimes sit on the substrate after floating around.
I feel you should move the cutting/ plants to give them the best chance of maturing?

It is often said that pest snails only eat dead plant material and algae. Some of the Australian pond snails chew frogbit from what I have seen. I would not worry about the snails on the lily but keep a close eye out for any damage.

The shrimp are most likely hiding?
Okay, I'll probably leave them like that for now until I get some rocks I like from the lfs. Is any superglue safe for tieing them down?

Flyfisha

Any of the true instant super glues that have the same old ingredient Cyanoacrylate will work. Using a gell super glue which is a little thicker is a little easier.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views
Dennis57
Replies