What plants are the best

1. tootsiepup Initiate Member

Hi, I have a freshwater tank with the dimensions of 30" long, 18" high, 13" wide. It is 29 gallons. I currently have 4 peppered cories in there and I'm getting an angelfish, 5 silver hatchets, and 3 yoyo loaches. I have a plant light that is high light. What plants would be the best in my aquarium?

2. smee82 Well Known Member Member

When you high light what do you mean? As for plants if your light is truly high most plants will ok for your tank.

However if you do have high light then you will also need to add CO2 and ferts to your tank or you will have serious algae issues.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

You could do a Hygrophilia species, Rotala, Ludwigia Repens, Bacopa, Crypt Species, Dwarf Sags, Corkscrew Vals, Red Melon Sword to name some.

Like said you will need CO2 supplementation, balanced ferts and root tabs for root feeders.

4. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Abubias and java fern are good for beginners.

5. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

What is your light fixture? I doubt it is actually in the "high light" range, as these are extremely bright, normally fairly expensive fixture that are specific for plants and usually in the 6500k range, unless it's from an old saltwater tank than it would be in the 10,000k range.

If you are just starting with plants, you ideally don't want a "high light" tank, as you would induce algae quickly, need CO2 injection, ferts, and lots of maintenance. Low light tanks are much better for beginners, and everyone else too, in my opinion. I much prefer the ease of a low light tank. The plants are cheaper, easier to find, easier to grow, easier to propagate, etc.

Lets establish your light level and what type of fixture you have, then you will be able to better figure out what type of plants will suit you.

Also here is a link to understanding "PAR", it is the best way to estimate your light level as it takes into account depth, height above tank, and bulb/fixture to better estimate your light amount. Watts per gallon is an outdated method that is not very accurate. Here is the link...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

+1 Dolfan

The best plants are the ones you can care for. And everything Dolfan said.

If you are just starting out, I'd recommend researching "easy" or "low light" plants. You will be much more satisfied with the results and you can continue to grow your skills (no pun intended) with confidence.

7. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. Heavens. I went to the site and read Hoppys thing. My mind has a tendency to shut down when they were too many numbers in front of me. However I do have 2 of the the Home Depot plant/aquarium light bulbs 15watts each. But I still couldn't understand it. I know I have lowlight I just want to know if I get LED would that be any brighter?

8. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I agree, starting off with some low light plants is better. Then when you get the hang of how to care for them you can start with the high light plants. High light plants need ferts, pressurized co2 ( not DIY ) and good lighting. On the other hand low light plants don't need as much stuff as high light plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

It depends on the LED fixture. Some can produce very high light PAR amounts for your tank, others are still on the low light side of things. What size tank are your using the 2 bulbs on? What type of bulbs are these, screw in CFL's or tube style? If tube style what size tubes T-8's?

10. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

They are both T8 fluorescent 18 inch, Light output is 410 Lumens 15 watts, Plant/Aquarium bulbs.

11. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

PAR is really the only way to consider the effectiveness of plant lights. Lumens and watts will only be misleading. It's difficult to track down PAR info on most lights (mostly because it is so poor and manufacturers don't want you to know!), so I would really scour the reviews for folks stating the types of plants they are effectively growing. As a side note, I'm a big fan of Finnex. You would just want to look for K ratings between 6000 and 7500. :)

12. tootsiepup Initiate Member

Took your suggestions got some of the plants and my yoyo loaches love them. right now they are very little, the biggest one might not even be an inch.