What Plant?

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can anyone tell me what plant this is? Said it was a macro.

Attachments

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am pretty sure it is macro sword. but wait for nutter or another plant expert

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never heard of Macro Sword.
I've heard of Micro Sword but it looks nothing like that.

That appears more like a ball of Riccia but not quite right for that either. Riccia is made up of thousands of individual strands & should be floating on the surface if it's not anchored to anything. It sort of looks like Java Moss but the strands are smooth unlike Java Moss.

Unless it's cleverly disguised riccia, I've got to admit that I don't have a clue. Congratulations, you have stumped me.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a type of Moss. Maybe Java Moss.

Carol

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good pic you got there.

Macro? If the real name begins with macro then the only thing I can think of is that it should be a Freshwater macro-algae. Never heard of such thing before. It doesn't look as micro sword and its texture is not typical of moss... Hope the seller can give you the latin name of it.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Got it at Petland, just said macro on the bag. It feels very rough and almost plastic, but is suppose to be a live plant. They had it over with their bags of java moss and other live plants. I'll have to go back to the store tomorrow and ask someone about it. All I know for sure is all my fish are loving it, including my bn pleco.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Went back to the store & asked about the plant. They said it was a type of fern/shrub. Guess I'll never know for sure. They had some nice looking anubias for $3 each, so I grabbed one of those. Gotta stay out of the pet stores!:;rudolph

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It looks like "cheato", a saltwater macroalgae. If it grows well in Freshwater you might have a newly introduced plant in your tank, something like "green spaghettI moss". Keep us updated of its condition in your tank. I would like to know if it grows fast or slow; if it needs a lot of light or goes well with low light...

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I bought a potted plant at Petsmart labeled as micro sword narrow leaf. I pulled off all of the wool in the pot and then let the plant float in the tank until I got around to planting it. (couple weeks - I'm lazy It looked kind of like that after it started growing floating. If you pull it apart a little does it look like blades of grass connected by roots?

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry, haven't had the chance to respond for a while. The plant coloring changed to white after a couple days in the tank. Went to take a picture of it on Wednesday and it had broken into a million little pieces. Did a 50% water change and there's still pieces floating around. Needless to say, whatever it was, it wasn't meant to be in my tank. I've had good luck with plants and fish from Petland, so I'm suprised this one was a disaster.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hummmmm...it may have been that salt water algae plant and mislabeled!!!!! It went to pieces in 2-3 days!!!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Our local petland sells both Freshwater and Saltwater plants so I could see how thatd happen. Sorry for your loss, was really pretty.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads