What Plant To Use??

The2dCour

I have a 5-gallon tank with a Betta. I currently have Java Fern, Water Lettuce, Anachanis, Anubias, and Moneywort, and a marimo moss ball. What other plant do you recommend? I was thinking about carpeting plants?? Or some rooted plants.

Moneywort (bacopa monnieri) could be used as a carpet if trimmed and plant the trimmings.

Upvote 0

Chanyi

manually plant a carpet of crypt parva - that would be a good option for a low maintenance carpeting plant.

Upvote 0

jake37

Could consider some small sword (like micro sword). Over a *long* time it will send out runners and spread.

A couple of smaller swords I like (not for carpeting) are parviflorus and kleiner prinz (lovely purple); not to be confsued with kleiner bar (which is a very large plant).

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I agree with the recommendation from Fisch to try water wisteria. I'm not an experienced betta keeper, but the one I have likes to rest in the crowns near the surface of the water.

Water wisteria grows fairly tall, so it would need occasional trimming in a small tank, but don't let that stop you. Besides, you can take the trimmings and stick them in the substrate to make new plants.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

My water is pretty good and I was thinking of an Amazon Sword vals and a banana plant
just a word of caution, Amazon swords get massive. In a 5g, it would easily fill the entire tank with leaves if healthy.

Upvote 0

thebettaaquarist

Oh, are there other options that your recommend?

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

just a word of caution, Amazon swords get massive. In a 5g, it would easily fill the entire tank with leaves if healthy.

Yup. I have an ozelot sword in a 20 long. The leaves are up against the glass on both sides, and they're also at the top of the water.

Upvote 0

jake37

There are quite a few swords that will stay between 5 and 8 inches tall - mentioned a few but there are at least a dozen others.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
wishuponafish
  • Question
Replies
Views
thebettaaquarist
  • Question
Replies