What Plant To Use?

1. T

ToRo Valued Member Member

Can someone tell me what I could use in foreground to middle of the tank that is fairly hardy, that doesn't need high light? I'd like some grass looking ones, like val but don't get big. Or should I use val and just keep it cut? Thanks a bunch! :)

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

I like Blyxa Japonica. Neat plant.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Dwarf sag, chain sword, some of the smaller val species, and crypts would work.

4. OP
    OP
    T

Thank you!

5. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Crypt wendtii, foolproof! Esp if towards mid

6. OP
    OP
    T

Oh good!!!! I just purchased and planted some :) Question, do you fertilize when you plant it or wait and with what? I've been reading about Seachem products but am so worried about it affecting my tank :/

Found crypts but that was it... I would really like to try some Italian Val... thoughts?

7. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Italian Val is a root feeder, needs to be in substrate, needs root tabs if no plant substrate is used, thrives in hard alkaline PH and requires low to medium light.
    It produces runners to propagate so don't plant it right against a glass wall, give it room to root.

8. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks! Can you or anyone else let me know thoughts on what I could use in the back of the tank, tall, doesn't take up a lot of room and fairly hardy? I couldn't plant the Italian val out too far, an inch or maybe a little less... would that work?

9. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Yes. You don't have to give it any room, but...the more room the mother plant has to start the process of having runners, the bigger the mother plant will grow itself.

10. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

For the wendtii, pop in a root tab at the base... same as the vals.

As for ferts they are designed for fish. Totally get the hesitation, I was the same. Nilocg aquatics also makes an all in one called thrive, I prefer it over flourish, however either one is fine.
    As for right up against the glass in back, moneywort is also pretty undemanding, stays as a straight stem, easy to trim.
    Do you have a picture of the tank? Would love to see it!

11. RiverPaddler

RiverPaddler New Member Member

Not grass-like, but I've been keeping crypt wendtii bronze and anubias nana petite under low light for the past year with very good results. The crypt has turned into a lovely extended colony and has center leaves about 4" high. The anubias is very slow growing and staying about 4-5" tall. You do need to keep the rhyzome above the substrate or it supposedly will not survive. I haven't tried the micro sword but see it being sold at my lfs. They have a nice grass appearance.

12. OP
    OP
    T

Thank You!