what plant to get...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by 0morrokh, Apr 29, 2006.

1. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I am getting Java Fern, Java Moss, Hagen Anacharis, and than something else for my tank... I want to know what that somehting else should be... it needs to be low-light, and preferably planted in the substrate and a smaller size...any suggestions? Thanks

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

There are some of the Cryptocornes(crypts) that are small, low light andj ust really pretty.
    Carol

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Here are some more suggestions.   I especially like the cryptocoryne retrospiralis, C wendtii, pygmy crypt(Cryptocoryne pygmaea)
    Carol

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

ok thanks! I had thought of Crypts but I didn't have any idea what kind...I will keep those ones you listed in mind.

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Theres such a variety to choose from. When ever I see a crypt I don't have I usually pick it up. My 15G skunk loach tank has nothing but various crypts.
    Carol

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Crypts are pretty cool...I was looking through them and I liked C. undulata and C. pygmaea...and thye're both low-light--yay! I think I might try to get one of those for the front of my tank, maybe along with some Java Moss (anchored). THere's so many to choose from!

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

So I was asking about floating plants until I realized I was hijacking someone else's post :-[...so I'll move that here...
    Anyway looking for a low-light floating plant...was thinking about Java Moss but that hangs down too far...so I'm wondering if Guppy Grass would have the same problem? I'm having a hard time finding floating plants that would suit my needs...

8. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Me too, right now I have three different crypts in my tank, I would have more if I had more money when I go to the store that sells them but o well. Hornwort is a great floating plant but if it sheds get rid of it or you will have tons of leaves everywhere.

9. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Guppy grass hangs the same way Java Moss does. Some people plant it in the substrate but i break it all to pieces when I try to plant so let it just do its own thing.
    I didn't realize we were hyjacking another thread. Somebody will just have to whack us with a ruler :)
    Carol

10. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

uh oh...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice