what plant to get...

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am getting Java Fern, Java Moss, Hagen Anacharis, and than something else for my tank... I want to know what that somehting else should be... it needs to be low-light, and preferably planted in the substrate and a smaller size...any suggestions? Thanks

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are some of the Cryptocornes(crypts) that are small, low light andj ust really pretty.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here are some more suggestions. I especially like the cryptocoryne retrospiralis, C wendtii, pygmy crypt(Cryptocoryne pygmaea)
Carol

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok thanks! I had thought of Crypts but I didn't have any idea what kind...I will keep those ones you listed in mind.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Theres such a variety to choose from. When ever I see a crypt I don't have I usually pick it up. My 15G skunk loach tank has nothing but various crypts.
Carol

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Crypts are pretty cool...I was looking through them and I liked C. undulata and C. pygmaea...and thye're both low-light--yay! I think I might try to get one of those for the front of my tank, maybe along with some Java Moss (anchored). THere's so many to choose from!

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I was asking about floating plants until I realized I was hijacking someone else's post :-[...so I'll move that here...
Anyway looking for a low-light floating plant...was thinking about Java Moss but that hangs down too far...so I'm wondering if Guppy Grass would have the same problem? I'm having a hard time finding floating plants that would suit my needs...

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Butterfly said:
Theres such a variety to choose from. When ever I see a crypt I don't have I usually pick it up. My 15G skunk loach tank has nothing but various crypts.
Carol
Me too, right now I have three different crypts in my tank, I would have more if I had more money when I go to the store that sells them but o well. Hornwort is a great floating plant but if it sheds get rid of it or you will have tons of leaves everywhere.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppy grass hangs the same way Java Moss does. Some people plant it in the substrate but I break it all to pieces when I try to plant so let it just do its own thing.
I didn't realize we were hyjacking another thread. Somebody will just have to whack us with a ruler
Carol

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
uh oh...

New Threads