What plant is this?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Gwenz, May 6, 2006.

1. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Does anyone know what plant this is? The Woman at my lfs said it is very similar to Java Fern but wasn't sure what it was.

Thanks

Gwenz :)

Attached Files:

2. DinoFishlore VIPMember

I seriously doubt that is a true aquatic plant.

I know for sure,it is NOT a fern.
    It looks similar to the sword plants in he leaves, but the leaves on a sword plant all come from the base of the plant, not from branches.

Dino

3. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Dino, that's what I was thinking too. It sort of reminds me of the Amazon Sword plant, yet I know it's not. It really does not look like any true aquatic plant I know. Hmm ... Gwenz, the store should always have the scientific names of the plants they're selling. If your store didn't have the name of the plant, and it indeed doesn't look like an aquatic plant, maybe they're selling people ordinary plants under the pretext that they're aquatic?

P.S. Perhaps it is some variety of Echinodorus plant? It would be closest in appearance to that plant, if any at all.

4. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

Ok thanks. Somehow, Echinodorus rings a bell. Maybe they did have the names of the plants, and I'd look at it and not taken it in proparly. (I was unwell yesterday and wasn't taking things in proparly and not taking notice of things)

Thanks again

5. DinoFishlore VIPMember

Sorry,but it is not Echinodorus.
    That is the Latin for the sword plant family.
    One of the classifications for being in that family is that leaves come from a base, not from branches.

Dino

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Somehow that doesn't look like an aquatic plant. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just trying to make money...I've heard of stores selling non-aquatic plants as aquatic ones. And of course she didn't know--or else didn't want to tell you--it's name. That looks nothing like a Java Fern.

7. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I know, it's most likely not an aquatic plant. It doesn't look like anything I know.

8. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

I think your right to say it not likely to be an aquatic plant because I came home yeterday to find it all floating around my tank. :-\ I ended up having to get it all out and throw it away. I've now put in the fake plant again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice