What plant is this? Can it be kept submerged?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by MightyCucumber, Jul 26, 2015.

1. MightyCucumber

MightyCucumber Valued Member Member

I was casually looking at some fish tank setups and I stumbled upon this (tank is not mine, thank God, poor goldfish :( ):

tumblr_n93la86lO71ro1uhxo1_500.jpg

Anyone know what type of plant this is? I have tons of this plant on pots in my backyard, and while I already suspected it could be kept submerged, I'd like a second opinion from you guys - the first opinion being from my non-aquarist mother, who told me she used to keep these in transparent jars filled with water when she was young, ahah :D

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

It doesn't look like a fully aquatic plant to me

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I think its called a ribbon plant, and its semi aquatic so only the roots should be in, or half of the plant.

4. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

It looks like a spider plant to me, or a dracaena, neither should be fully submerged. This is s spider plant fwiw.
    Looking at it against my picture it looks more like a dracaena. :)
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

5. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Spider plant. They come in different forums from all green leaves to leaves with a lot more white on them like the first picture. The roots should be fine in water, however it is usually grown in a pot and sends down lots of runners with baby plants on the ends of them ,hence the name spider plant. Alison

6. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

definitely not a fully aquatic plant

7. OP
    OP
    MightyCucumber

MightyCucumber Valued Member Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. ;) I'll keep them in my backyard then, and away from the tank!

8. K

Kwig Well Known Member Member

That being said, you could make a basket for the roots. Once it's big enough to send out runners, they'd look nice draped down the side of the tank. I have a pothos clipping I'm doing this with but the roots are really long and thick and I let them hang in the water. My Amano shrimp pretty much stay in them.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

That's not a dracaena, which is curly bamboo.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Actually, curly bamboo is a type of dracena. If you google it you will be amazed at how many dracena varieties they are. I don't think its a dracena though either :)

11. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

There are like 30 different kinds of plants that are dracaena....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea what I meant is the plant in the pic is not a dracaena, the scientific name of curly bamboo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice