What Pet Should I Get? Question

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by CosmicDodo42, Apr 24, 2018.

?

which should I get?

1. Crested Geckos

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Guiana Pigs

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Betta fish

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Saltwater tank

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Tarantula

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. You have too many already

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

I really want to purchase another pet(s). I really enjoy taking care of animals, and I find it to be incredibly enjoyable. The main complaint my parents have is something they have to take care of when I’m at camp. These are the animals already living in my home;
    Luke, an Austrailian Shepard(my parent’s)
    Kermit, an African Dwarf Frog(Mine)
    20 gallon freshwater tank(My dad’s/mine)
    10 gallon freshwater(mine)
    This pet would probaly also be my sister’s as well,(again this depends on which one it is). I have done at least a month’s worth of research trying to narrow down five possibilities, which are;

Betta fish
    Pros; can buy a used tank from neighbors, already cheap to buy, easy to convince parents.
    Cons; I don’t want another freshwater fish

Guiana pigs(x2)
    Pros; cute, can be easily transported, Relatively easy to take care of.
    Cons: a little more expensive, have done the least amount of total research on(so I would have to do more)

Crested Geckos(x2)
    Pros; really easy to take care of, adorable, quiet, doesn’t mind being handled, within my budget
    Cons: harder to convince parents to take care of when I’m gone, and to convince them to get me.

Saltwater 55 gallon
    Pros; nice to look at, Dad already wants, pretty fun,
    Cons; expensive, big investment, hard to take care of

Tarantula
    Pros; I think it’s cute, would be cool to have
    Cons; I could never convince my parents to let me get one

Overall, I’m leaning towards the Geckos, or Guiana pigs, but I would want some input from someone else, so please help!

2. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Guinea pigs!!!!!!! They are so much fun,!! You should get two.. they like company!!! Mine squeak loudly when they hear me coming!! The ones I had a few years ago all new their names!! They have lots of personality packed in a little package!!:)

3. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Crested geckos are fun and a great starter reptile! Get a adult though ( i made a mistake and got a baby as a first timer....Yeah she is very jumpy, yesterday she jumped out of her tank and sat on my shoulder...WELP) Do lots of research though first!!

4. -Sofia-Valued MemberMember

Personally I would get a gecko because they have a low care level and aren't too pricey (except for vet care). Guinea pigs on the other hand need are prone to sickness so they need vet caress well (exotic vet) , an 8 sq.ft. Minimum cage and a lot of attention, need to be in a pair but if you are willing to pay for the vet and everything else I would say go for it! Before making your decision do LOTS of research, you can also join a piggy forum! Taylor Nicole Dean on YouTube has some care guides on geckos and skinnypigs1 is a whole piggy channel. Hope I helped :)

5. CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

I love Nicole Taylor Dean(not in an attraction way,) She’s very helpful!

6. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

One thing you need to keep in mind is who takes care of these pets when you and your family are gone? I have a dog, cat, rabbit and 3 tanks and the rabbit is by far the hardest. Some animals are harder to get sitters for than others.

I'd personally get guinea pigs simply because they're cute and I know a bit more about how to care for them. I know nothing of the others and have never had any want to have a reptile and arachnids of any sort are yucky. :nailbiting:

7. CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

My neighbors would probaly be available to take care of them, however, should there be a time when they can’t, I have a back-up plan;
    Luke; probaly take him with us
    Kermit; can go for a week(or even longer) without food, I would just give him a little more the day before we leave.
    20 gal: automatic feeder
    10 gal: since they need to be fed bloodworms, as well as half an algae pellet, I’m not sure.
    Crested Geckos: i’d probably half to take them with me.
    Also, I really like tarantulas, but I know my parents would never let me get one.

8. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Having a plan and a back up is awesome. :)

9. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Hmm geckos dont like moveing around a lot though. Its stresses them out and they dont eat. Mine went on strike for 4days because i cleaned her cage and took her out...

10. GonoliValued MemberMember

Tarantulas would be cool
    It may seem impossable to convince parents but you'd be surprised plus if you get a low care one they can be really cheap and A lot of fun! Guinea pigs can be difficult sometimes And you can't just have one.

11. CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

Update!!: I have made my decision!
    I will be getting two crested Geckos for me, as well as a Betta fish for my mom on mother’s day(she has wanted a “pretty fish” since I first got my 20 gal, so I figure she’ll love it)

12. -Sofia-Valued MemberMember

Are you getting two enclosures for one gecko in each? Males will probably fight (about 9/10 times) but if it's two females that would probably work. Did you ask your parents yet?

13. CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

Two females, and I’ve gotten a approval!

14. -Sofia-Valued MemberMember

Okay great! I wouldn't want you to get two males then see them fight! Any names yet?

15. CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

Barbara(from Betelgeuse) and Ellie(Jurassic Park)

16. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Congratulations!
    I have hermit crabs, and fish :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice