What paint should I use to paint aquarium trim?

• Thread starter FLGirl
  • Start date

FLGirl

Well Known
Do you know of a paint that is safe to use on the outside plastic trim, hood etc? Id like to paint a whitish looking plastic on a tank black..What do you think?

Sharkdude

Well Known
Krylon fusion is made for painting glass and plastic. You can buy it at any department store for around $3 per can.

FLGirl

Well Known
The spray paint? Will that work on silicone to? I think I would make a mess with the spray paint though...I would hate to get it all over the glass..Would regular not spray paint work...Is it safe? Would anyone recommend something over the other has anyone painted their tank hoods or trI'm before?

Sharkdude

Well Known
You can use roll on paint that works for plastic as long as its latex based. You may need a primer first however.

I use the spray paint over the roll on because its cheaper and I'm better with it.

FLGirl

Well Known
Well, I'll take a look when I'm at the store...I think painting the plastic black would look awesome...Thanks and your sure once it is dry that it is no harm to future inhabitants? What about painting the inside of the hood white or the inner lip of the trI'm black? Would water touching these surface and dripping back to th tank be toxic?

Sharkdude

Well Known
I don't think its necessary but if you do it would be best to wait two weeks before putting water in it.

FLGirl

Well Known
Well white can help with the reflection of the light a bit (or so Iv heard xD) and I could use every little bit of help I can get with the light plus I would like it too look finished/clean.....I can wait a few weeks before adding water or anything..probably longer if I get it painted right away. Thanks!

Top Bottom